8. You Know What To Do

"Ah! Blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee."

As the beaver called out to the four siblings, Peter laid eyes on a small house made entirely of snowy logs further down the mountain they were stood on.

"It's lovely", Lucy remarked.

"Nah it's merely a trifle, ya know. Still plenty to do, ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is though", the beaver muttered to himself as he set off down the hill.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again, I –", Peter heard a female voice start scolding the beaver they were travelling with as they approached the small house.

A second beaver stepped out through the tiny door and immediately cut herself off when she laid eyes on the group.

"Well ... those aren't badgers", she whispered.

"Oh, I thought I'd never live to see this day!" the female beaver added as she walked over to where the four siblings had stopped just outside the house.

Peter was still temporarily thrown off seeing a beaver speak, despite walking for the past hour with one who did.

"Look at my fur. You couldn't even give me ten minutes of warning?" the female beaver scolded her husband.

"I'd have given ya a week if I thought it would've helped", Mr Beaver replied cheekily.

Peter, Susan and Lucy all broke out into laughter at the two beavers arguing.

It slightly reminded Peter of his own parents.

Which then reminded him of exactly where they were.

It had been strangely easy to forget that he was currently inside a forest inside a wardrobe.

But before he could dwell on it further, Mrs Beaver said, "Oh, come inside, and we'll see if we can't get you some food and some civilised company."

Mr Beaver chuckled as his wife walked off back into their home.

"Now, careful. Watch your step", he then added as Susan and Lucy quickly followed after Mrs Beaver who was apologising for the state of their home.

Peter went in directly after Lucy, not seeing Edmund hesitate to look back at the two mountains once more before being interrupted by a suspicious Mr Beaver.

Once they were all inside, there was no more need for their fur coats due to the warm fireplace lit in the centre of the room.

Mrs Beaver was bolting around trying to tidy up whilst making them all cups of tea.

There was a small wooden table and chairs just opposite the door, with a staircase made of logs leading up to a bed.

Peter had also noticed a larger bed pushed to the side of the house.

A bed that looked too big for a beaver. One that looked fit for a person.

But they had bigger things to think about compared to a random bed in a beaver's house.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked once they had all sat down, knowing that they were apparently safe to speak about such things.

"They'll have taken him to the White Witch's house. You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again", Mr Beaver replied.

Before Peter could press him further, Mrs Beaver walked over with a plate announcing, "Fish and Chips."

However, what was placed in front of them was not the fish and chips they were used to.