37. Moonlight

The Pevensies and Trumpkin found themselves back at the cliff.

The ford near Beruna had been a dead end.

Crossing it was even more of a threat than a steep drop off a cliffs edge.

This was because it was riddled with Telmarine soldiers.

The one thing Peter had achieved from travelling to that ford was witnessing first-hand the real threat that had overcome Narnia.

The soldiers coated in heavy silver armour were trekking around the ford in great numbers.

They were working tirelessly to build a bridge of wood across the river Rush.

There were horses, weapons, but most noticeably, large wooden catapults.

The destruction of Cair Paravel finally had an answer.

A culprit.

The threat was evident, and the problem they had been called upon to help solve had made itself known.

The Telmarines had overtaken the Narnians.

And rightful peace needed to be returned to their people after all these years.

Seeing it in such a wide scale made Peter think many things.

Firstly, the fact that he had abandoned Valera to fight against them on her own.

It was no wonder she might be gone.

Guilt slowly tore its way from his head to his heart as he imagined what might have become of her.

There was a way to find out by asking Trumpkin, but Peter wasn't ready to hear of his loves fate.

Not when he needed to keep a level head so that he could be of assistance in taking down the Telmarines.

Which led to the second thing he was thinking about.

Just how they were going to achieve such a task.

The army and weapons he had seen would overpower the current position he found himself in.

Four Kings and Queens and a dwarf wouldn't be enough to defeat them.

They needed an army of their own.

Which is why they needed to find the Narnians.

Or what was left of them.

Hence why they had returned back to the cliff's edge to go off the one lead they had.

According to Lucy, Aslan had looked as though he wanted them to follow him.

Perhaps there was a way across they weren't seeing.

"So where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asked his younger sister once they had returned.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups. I don't think I saw him, I did see him", Lucy scolded her older brother, whose tone very much reflected his continued disbelief in her.

"I am a grown-up", Trumpkin muttered as Lucy walked over to another place on the edge of the cliff.

"It was right over –", she started to say before the ground beneath her caved in, sending the young queen straight down into the drop below them.

"Lucy!" Susan screamed as each of the older Pevensies ran over to try and help their sister.

Fortunately, Lucy hadn't fallen very far.

In fact, she had fallen only a few feet, landing on a stone platform below them.

"Here", she finished her earlier statement with a smile, glancing back up to her siblings.