Chapter 15 - Birthday presents

A week had passed since my sister had woken.

I sat in our Marui watching over her while she slept. Ronal had made sure she slept throughout the middle of the day to help regain her strength. And while she did. I watched her.

No one else was home. My siblings were having more lessons with the metkayina kids, though they didn’t do much learning anymore. My father was out hunting with Tonowari and the other warriors while my mother was with some of the women of the clan.

I was carving out an arrow from a piece of wood. I would later decorate it with string, beads and feathers. Carve a pattern in the wood too. but for now I was just trying to get the shape of the arrow and arrowhead.

I let out a sigh, cracking my neck. I must admit, sitting down for hours each day was starting to get painful.

But as long as I knew my twin was safe. Then I was more than content.

Kiri was my everything. Even though I didn’t spend much time with her during the day back at the forest, she was my twin. Just about every night we would take a trip to the lab together and see our mother. Almost every afternoon once I had gotten back from my day by myself, we would venture to our secret area full of my drawings.

My drawing. I hadn’t drawn in a very long time. I did miss it, but I didn’t know where I could go to do it. I always used to carve the trees on my days out. Maybe I could do that again. Find a secret area and use that.

“What are you doing here alone?” My head snapped to the entrance of the Marui to see Ao’nung. He made sure to whisper once he saw Kiri asleep.

I did not reply in words, but instead pointed to my sister who lay asleep. He nodded, looking over the arrow I was creating. I was carving out the arrowhead on the long stick I had found.

He was about to open his mouth to speak but before he could. We heard movement coming from my sister.

I quickly hid the arrow behind me as it was to be a present for my sister's birthday that was coming up in 2 weeks time.

“Seze, I don’t need you to watch over me 24/7. Go and enjoy your life.”

“I'm sorry to wake you Kiri” Ao’nung whispered to the girl.

“I've been awake for the past half hour.” She admitted. “I’ve been trying to come up with a reason for my sister to go and enjoy her life. and I think I just have” Ao’nung and I looked at each other in confusion before turning back to the tired girl.

“you two are going to go for a walk together. Or sit somewhere together and talk.”

“why?” I asked, forgetting to whisper as kiri was still very tired.

“because your bed-ridden sister said so. Now go” the girl turned to me and finally opened her eyes. “for me” he pleaded with a fake frown. I rolled my eyes, knowing I wouldn’t be able to resist doing what my sister wanted.

“Do I get a say in this-“

“No. shut up and go” Kiri snapped, turning her head to Ao’nung with angered eyes. He raised his hands in defence before stepping away from the entrance and waiting for me to follow.

×××

We found a nice place on the beach to sit. Ao’nung sat lent against a tree while I sat in front of him.

I had brought my arrow with us so I would be able to work on it while we awkwardly sat.

“I can't believe we are doing as your sister requested.” Ao’nung spoke softly. I could feel his ocean blue eyes staring at my head when I didn’t reply. He slowly looked down at the arrow I was carving out.