Chapter 18 - The Tulkun Return

"Everybody. Our brothers and sister have returned" Tsireya called out from the ocean.

Tuk came running to Kiri and I, pulling the two of us along, trying to get us to see what all the commotion was.

Massive sea creatures started to fill into the reef, Na'vi of all ages rushing to meet them.

In the distance I could see Ao'nung. To me he stood out like a bright flower in a dark forest.

Ever since my revelation of my liking towards him he had stood out.

"Come on" Tuk shouted. Kiri dove into the water, Tuk and I were not far behind.

I called Grace and rode off after seeing Tuk holding on behind Kiri.

I couldn't believe my eyes. The creatures were beautiful. These were the Tulkun that my siblings and I had been told so much about.

As I sat above the surface, I felt the water ripple below me from all the commotion. So much so that I couldn't feel or hear Ao'nung sneak up behind me, is spirit brother in tow.

What I didn't see was how he pointed and spoke so fondly of me. How he told his spirit brother about who I was. What he felt towards me. He laid his heart out to the Tulkun, leaving no feeling out.

×××

One thing that did stand out to me was the way the Metkayina Clan and the Tulkun bonded. How they spoke to one another. How they sang and dance together. How they would not leave any detail out.

It was true bondage.

It was why animals were just...better than anyone else.

They were pure and loving and they weren't afraid to show it.

So when the Tulkun had to leave, it was a sad time.

Not knowing who would still be there in the next visit or who would be gone. Not knowing if it would be the last goodbye.

My family and I sat in our Marui, watching as the people of the Metkayina Clan slowly made their way home in the dark. Some cried as they left their spirit sister or brother.

"Well. I almost feel bad to celebrate your birthday tomorrow" Jake said, walking to his mate, looking to Kiri and I.

I was quite nervous for my birthday. I had always stressed about the present I was to be giving Kiri. Worried she wouldn't approve of it. Might not like it.

I had shown Ao'nung the finished product just a few hours earlier while the Na'vi were singing and dancing around fires, the Tulkun joining in the water.

He was amazed at it. Holding it in his hands carefully. "It's beautiful, Monkey lover... She will love it"

Ao'nung had never been able to let go of calling me 'monkey lover'. I had caught on calling him 'fish lover' purely to mock him with his stupid made up names.

"What will we do. It's not like I can do our normal tradition" Kiri mumbled, wrapping her knees in her arms, hiding her face from her family.

"Maybe do something I want" I whispered, hoping no one heard my complaint.

On birthdays we would always head to the The Tree of Souls and connect with the tree. We would spend hours there. It was Kiri's favourite thing to do.