Chapter 17 - Creatures

Ao’nungs POV:

I had made my way back to the group quickly so Seze wouldn’t notice I had followed her.

I was worried when she walked off. Worried she was upset. So, when I saw her smiling and laughing and running along with the animals, it made my heart melt.

Seze was something different. I hadn’t met anyone like her before.

She may not speak too much or act too happy a lot of the time. But that was when she was with others.

I had seen her in the distance by herself some mornings.

She was sat my herself, smiling out to the horizon. Or seeing Grace splash around in the water.

She was full of happiness but rarely felt it around others. I wasn’t quite sure why, but I felt it had something to do with her connection with eywa.

I felt so bad for her. I couldn’t imagine not being able to have the comfort of eywa. The great mother helped me stay strong in times of stress. She kept me brave when I was scared.

She kept me safe.

But Seze was strong and brave. She was able to do all the things everyone else could even without her.

I couldn’t imagine having to be brave without knowing eywa.

But Seze did it.

She was probably the strongest person on this god damn planet.

“get back!” I was snapped out of my thoughts at Jakes yelling.

I looked up and saw a Palulukan.

I had seen them before but only from afar and from the safety of the ocean.

This one was much closer. It was angry too.

I looked over my shoulder and saw another one just as angry as the one in front of me.

Jake, Neytiri and my father tried to surround me and the boys. But we knew it would do nothing if the creatures were to charge at us.

“when I say run. Run” Jake whispered, looking behind him to Neteyam, Lo’ak and I.

We all nodded, not taking our eyes off of the creatures.

“Jake. What about Seze?” Neytiri whispered, remembering her Daughter had gone off.

I thought she would have been back by now. What if something has happened to her? What if she was injured.

Or worse.

“Run!” Jake yelled.

Lo’ak Neteyam and I all ran together as fast as we could. I had A lot of difficulty running through the forest while Lo’ak and Neteyam were pros.

They easily lept over logs and bushes.

Neteyam turned around making sure I was alright every once in a while. He didn’t want me falling behind.

“oh shit!” Neteyam yelled, stopping quickly, holding onto his brother's arm. I stood behind them.

Either there was a third Palulukan, or one of them had caught up to us.

“Turn, turn!” Lo’ak yelled. We all went to turn and run but there was one stood behind us too.

“they just keep coming” Lo’ak yelled as he stood close to his older brother.

Both the creatures made their way over to us. Creeping low to the ground as though they were trying to scare us even more.

The one to our right seemed to lock focus on us more than the one to the left as it went running off at the sound of a Na’vi call without a second glance.