Dare

TRIGGER WARNINGS!

References to eating disorder, references to self-harm & self-harm scars. Both these themes will appear again during the book so if these trigger warnings apply to you, please proceed with caution.

Let me know if I missed out any TW

As soon as I stepped through the door, a pair of arms were flung around my neck and I was pulled into a tight embrace. I dropped my bag before slipping my arms around her waist, holding her against my body. She was wearing the perfume she always did, the pinewood, lychee and magnolia petal scent smelling exactly like home.

"Hey Taylor," I said, "it's so good to see you."

"I missed you so much," she said, pulling away and stepping back before taking my hand. "Let me show you some of the songs I've been drafting." She guided me over to the table, paper and pencils spilled all over it. We both took a seat and picked up a sheet with many words scrawled across the paper. The room was bright, the warm brown wood and lighting gentle on the eyes. There were many seats and bean bags in various corners and spaces of the room, a glass window and a door concealing all of the recording and production equipment we needed. "I thought of potential album names," Taylor said.

"Can I see?" I said. She handed me the piece of paper and I scanned over the titles. "Porcelain is a good one," I said, "I like fractured too." She tilted her head in thought.

"We could use both," she said, "Fractured Porcelain sounds like something you would write." I laughed. She was right, most of my music was quite melancholy. We hadn't completely decided on a theme or genre yet but we knew we were going to go the sadder route, considering both of us had experience in that area. It was the option that made the most sense.

"Alright. Let's jot that down as a potential idea." I scanned over her other ideas, discussing them with her and writing others we both liked down. We decided to dedicate this week to just songwriting, messaging the team our plan so they knew not to come in. I let Taylor flick through my notebook so she could see what I had come up with.

"I like this," she said, pointing to a page titled 'Bloodshot Irises.'

"I forgot about that. Thank you," I said. I had woken up in the middle of the night with the idea a few weeks ago and had scribbled the words down before rewriting them properly the next day.

"What was your idea for it?"

"Basically, I thought it could be a song about being in an abusive relationship but not being able to see it." I turned the page to show her one of the unedited lines I had written, "the last line of the chorus could be something like 'my irises are bloodshot so all I see is you.' Obviously it would be changed to sound a lot better in a song. What do you think?" Even though we had known each other for nine years and had been best friends for seven, I still felt nervous every time I shared my lyrics with her because hers was the best I'd ever seen. I would never be able to reach her quality. But even though my idea wasn't all that great, she burst into a smile anyway.

"That's so good," she said. I blushed a little.

"Thank you," I said. I wasn't sure if she was lying just to be nice but I decided to push the thoughts away, accepting her compliment.

We went through a few more lyric ideas and song names over the next few hours, inspiring each other and giving suggestions, talking and laughing as we worked. I had missed this so much. Even though it meant I was in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend until she finished filming, I was glad I was here in London. It meant that I was with Taylor.