||17||

The woman, Alex, walked a few steps closer so she could see all of us. There was something strange about her. She seemed human, but at the same time she didn't.

She had an irregular heartbeat that went too fast for humans to handle, but she couldn't be a vampire, because of her very clearly blue eyes.

She also seemed to hold herself differently than other vampires, more humanlike, like it came natural to her. She just seemed different.

It took me about one second to assess all of this before I glanced to Carlisle to see what he was going to say.

"Who are you?" Carlisle asked and Alex smiled.

"Well, I think Swan could fill you in." She said and Dad looked at us with the still-shocked look on his face.

"She's a detective in Seattle. Um, we-" I looked to Dad in surprise as I got what he was implying.

Were they together? I hadn't realized my dad had a girlfriend.

"A detective? But how? You're obviously not human." I asked her and she smirked.

"You're very perceptive, Adelaide. I can see your immortality only strengthened that." She told me.

"How did you know my name?" I asked her.

"The same way I know all of your names." Alex said, then glanced to Carlisle.

"You're Carlisle Cullen, turned in the 1640s, you turned.." She looked to Edward.

"Him and then her, Rosalie Hale." Alex said, looking between Edward and Rose.

I looked at each of my family warily. How did this woman know who we were and when we'd been turned?

"Alex, how the hell do you know all that?" Dad asked her.

"Because I've been looking for you all for a while now. And now I've finally found you, and to my surprise, Swan is one of you too." Alex remarked.

"Why have you been looking for us?" Carlisle asked her.

"I'm a hybrid. I've been looking for people of the same bloodline as me." Alex said and I looked to Carlisle. A hybrid? Did that even exist? A hybrid between what?

"Hybrids are a myth." Jasper spoke up.

"And yet here I stand, as real as ever. It's true, I am a hybrid. Read my mind, you'll see." Alex told Edward, who nodded at us.

"She's telling the truth, yet we still don't know what bloodline you're talking about." Edward told her.

"Perhaps we should go inside? I'll tell you whatever you want to know." Alex said to us.

"Like hell. I don't want you anywhere near my family until you can prove to me you're not working for Victoria or you're not dangerous." I told her.

She turned to me and grinned. "I like you, you have fire. I guess you get it from your dad." She told me and I exchanged a look with my dad, who looked embarrassed.

"How about this? I know who turned Charlie." She told us and I saw Dad looking at her in surprise.

"Come in." I told her, walking behind her as she headed into the house.

"Wait, she and dad are.." Bella trailed off and I winced. "Let's not talk about what they are right now. I'd rather not have the talk with Dad again." I whispered to her and she nodded, still looking surprised.

It was surprising to me too. I'd always assumed Dad never got over Mom. Well, apparently he had, and it was about time, too.

Carlisle stepped beside me and grabbed my hand. "Wild day, huh?" I asked him and he smiled.