||25||

Each second of the day felt like something could go wrong. Bella was violently sick all day. She couldn't keep down any food, and even the IV Carlisle set up wasn't helping her. It was insane how much could change in just twenty four hours. At first, Jacob wanted to kill us all, and now he was outside guarding our house.

Things had gotten better between Carlisle and I, but we were the only ones. Edward was still upset with Bella. Rose and I were arguing with Alice still, who couldn't even handle being near Bella because it hurt her to try and look into Bella's future. Emmett, Jasper and Alex had gone to Italy to find answers.

Rose and Edward acted as if they wanted to kill each other, which wasn't helping Rose, seeing as she was also pregnant.

Jacob, Leah and Seth were outside guarding the house, as they were the only ones who refused to attack Bella and the baby. Caleb was also here, but he stayed outside with Leah. I could tell she still wasn't too fond of any of us, but she tried to be civil for Caleb's sake. After all, when Rose's baby was born, they'd probably be a big part of the baby's life.

Since I was so anxious and didn't know how to pass the time, I made food for the four of them. Luckily I was a human only a year ago, so I knew how to cook still. Most vampires forgot after the years passed.

I walked outside the house with four sandwiches in my hands. Leah, Seth's Jacob and Caleb all looked up when they heard me.

"Hey, I made some lunch, just to try and show my gratitude for what you did for Bella. I know it isn't nearly enough." I told them, holding out the sandwiches.

Jacob took his, as did Seth, the latter smiling as he took it. Caleb did as well, glancing at Leah briefly. Leah didn't take the sandwich, but I wasn't upset or anything.

Even if I'd seen her around the reservation briefly when I hung out with Jacob, we'd never been friends. She was a little older than me, and she was always with her own friends. I understood her hesitance now, as I wasn't even the human she once knew.

I simply smiled at the four of them one more time before walking to the steps. Being inside was torture. I could feel everything. Edward's self hatred and anger. Bella's sadness and her sickness. Dad's sadness. Not to mention my own conflicting feelings. It was just too much for me to handle.

I saw Carlisle standing on the steps and smiled weakly. He looked as defeated and exhausted as I felt.

"Hey."

"Hey, you okay?" He asked me and I shook my head. "No, but I have to be." I told him, leaning into his shoulder for a moment.

"Jacob." Carlisle said and I looked over. Jacob looked surprised and walked over.

"Is Bella alright?" He choked out. He must have seen Carlisle's defeated expression and mine and assumed the worst.

"She's.. much the same as last night. She's awake." Carlisle told him.

Jacob glanced at Carlisle, then away.

"Jacob, I didn't get much of a chance to thank you properly last night. You don't know how much I appreciate your.. compassion. I know your goal was to protect Bella, but I owe you the safety of the rest of my family as well. Edward told me what you had to do."

"Don't mention it." Jacob muttered quickly.

"If you prefer."

There was silence as the three of us stood there. And the silence was terrible. I could hear everything. I could hear my sister's ragged breathing, her heart's uneven beats. It was killing me to hear my sister dying. And I saw it on Jacob's face too.