Chapter 2 - Mutation

From the moment Peter woke up, it seemed the whole universe decided he was public enemy number one overnight.

He tore his sticky eyes open with all his might and winced at the blaring sound of his alarm. Holy- When did he make it so loud? The teen flailed his arms like an octopus until he smacked his finger to his phone to silence the torturous noise. Something must've been slamming hammers against his skull because his head felt ready to crack open at any moment.

"Peter!" Aunt May called from the kitchen. 

Peter yawned, trying to regain some control over his current state by stretching out his body. His joints popped uncomfortably with every movement he made. Even as he turned to his side to see the time, he was haunted by the loud crack of his hips.

OH SHI-  

The teen shot up from his bed, realizing twenty minutes passed by in a blink. Did he fall back asleep?! Peter can't miss school! The attendance office will sever his head if he fails to show up again! Almost breaking a bone trying to shimmy out of his pajamas and into his school clothes, Peter burst out of his room. He hurriedly snatched the burrito his aunt made for breakfast.

"Peter- Peter, are you feeling alright?" May asked as her nephew chomped down on the burrito to throw his backpack over his shoulders. "You look warm."

Flying to the door, Peter takes a bite of his food and quickly swallows. "I'M FINE, MAY. I LOVE YOU I'LL SEE YOU LATEROHFU-FUUUUDGEI'MLATE," Peter rambled, sliding his feet into his sneakers and dashing out the door. 

Peter Parker made it to class right on time, passing the finish line as the bell raged out its prison daily sentence

Peter Parker made it to class right on time, passing the finish line as the bell raged out its prison daily sentence. He nearly doubled over his desk when he finally sat down, his heartbeat resonating around his skull. Peter rested his head against his palm and propped it up using a little trick of physics and his arm. He angled his arm just right so all the weight of his head could keep itself up. 

Mr. Ariff gulped down his second coffee of the morning as he put a warm-up question on the doc cam and let the class loose. Ned, Peter's best friend since exactly the 3rd day of second grade, turned to him. 

"Bro... Are you alight? You almost didn't make it," the dark-haired teen pointed out, motioning to the digital clock above the door. The two of them pulled out loose papers from their backpacks and got to work, talking while they solved the morning calculus equation. 

"In more ways than one, man. I slept through my alarm."

"Seriously? Were you sitting too long on YouTube last night or something? Don't tell me you were watching horror again." 

"No! I went to sleep early!" Peter exclaimed, quieting down after Mr. Ariff gave him the look.

"Shocking."

"I know. And I woke up with a headache I can't shake off too." 

"Geez, your day is going well," Ned mused sadly as Peter groaned and dramatically plopped his head down on his desk.