Chapter 3 - The Mission

The blonde was on her third coffee by the time her date arrived. 

It was a dreary day, to say the least. The rain tip-toed around pedestrians' umbrellas, careful not to cause a bother to New York's inhabitants. It fell too quietly against the soaked asphalt and the colorful metal cars. It ran from neon signs and city lights, pulling forth a thick grey fog that clouded everything in murky color splashes. Her favorite weather ultimately failed to lighten the young woman's heart. 

She finished her third coffee, gulping it down cold as the front bell jingled. The woman tucked a delicate strand of wavy blonde hair behind a pale ear, the red of her nails contrasting against her skin. 

The man would be a fool not to spot her. She sat on her lonesome at their usual corner spot, coldly cradling her third mug in long, thin fingers. She—with her cool colors and strong features—was tucked away in the soft embrace of auburn wood, plush red seats, and warm lights. Since the first time he saw her at a club just a few weeks back, she's invaded Nick's mind. He only managed to extract her name from her curved lips then and surrendered to a coffee date every three days. 

"Scarlett," Nick whispered her name in place of an apology, sliding into the cafe sofa seat across from her.

Her thin blonde brows narrowed, and he swore he felt a shiver run across his neck. "You're late."

"Shit's hit the fan at work," he sighed. "Have you ordered?" 

"You're joking." Scarlett motioned to all her empty cups, the corners of her lips tugging up in a smug smirk.

Nick kneaded his forehead with two tired fingers. "I haven't really slept for a night or two," he explained.

"Do you want to cancel?"

"No, I could really use that coffee," he responded with a smile. Nick reached across the table with his palm toward the rainy sky, an offering.

Scarlett eyed him up for a moment before her features softened, and she returned his affections. She slid her larger hand into his and interlocked their fingers with a chuckle. "We should order, then."  

After Scarlett's fourth round of ordering and Nick's first, they patiently awaited their coffee. She drank it black with no added sugar while he enjoyed some steamed milk and entrancing latte art. They stayed in silence for the first sips as the rain began to hammer down on the world just beyond their warm coffee shop. 

Nick pondered on the past two days while they enjoyed each other's company, asking himself when his life got so crazy. Any normal person would link it back to his job, the day he took that classified offer and signed away his soul to an organization he couldn't leave nor question. Truth be told, Nick couldn't find it in himself to care about that. They gave him unlimited research opportunities and all the resources he could ever need to conduct his research.

No. The start of it was five nights ago when he signed the experiment request form upon hearing of his colleague's untimely execution. The transport mission was well-practiced, well-staffed, and common in his field, made even easier considering there was only one experiment on board the truck. And yet, against all odds, the Arane-005 escaped.  

"What happened at work?" Scarlett asked at the worst possible moment. He snapped his gaze to her peaceful one, catching the surprise flash through her blue eyes. "You mentioned shit hit the fan. Considering you work with... something regarding security right? I figured I should ask for my own safety."

Nick forced himself to calm down in her presence, running a shaky hand through his tousled brown hair. "Yes. A government facility, Sweets," he clarified. "It's been eventful."