6

Max's POV

It has been a few days now and guess who's back that's right Daryl came crawling back. Rick was more than happy to open his arms wide for him but not me. I do most of the work around the prison now, I do all the food runs and take as many shifts I can pickup or if I'm not on shift I go and do something else for the night.

Tonight is like that I had done a hunting trip and got a deer. Everyone was so happy to eat it but I was just out of it I didn't pay attention to what everyone was saying I was just cleaning my gun "so Max you still good to do the night shift from midnight until seven in the morning" I reload my gun "of course who am I swapping over with tonight" I get my scope all set up "you'll be swapping out with Carl tonight and then in the morning it'll be me" I give him a nod and walked away "Max what" I look to see Carl coming "can you stay up there with me" "you're a big boy now you don't need me up there anymore with you" I look at him with a small smile on my face "I know it's just that I want to know more about my brother and I don't get to see you anymore" I sighted "Carl get back here you're my partner tonight" this gives me the chance to walk away from this mess.

Rick's POV

Me and Carl have been keeping watch for about a couple of hours now "why can't me and Max be on watch together anymore does he hate me dad" "no it's not that it's because of me I left him and the only family he had is gone" "so why doesn't he like it when I call him brother" I look out to nothing "because he's" that's when he see Max standing there "because I'm not your brother I'm your half brother but still I've got no family anymore ok Carl" I watch Max get himself set up for the night "Max what happened to you I use to look up to you and now I don't know who you are" I watch Max lean his head on the to the tower "I didn't have a perfect family like you did Carl I had a step dad, stepbrothers and my mum she died when I was six years old and from there It got worse. I owned my own property I didn't know to much about farms but I knew the greens so they lived with me when I was sixteen I was in a relationship after that I got into drink and my friend Randall stopped me and I got better then I lost my stepdad and well you saw my stepbrothers in the end" it looked like Max was crying I haven't seen him cry in a long time. "We'll leave you to it Max"

Max's POV

It was seven in the morning and the sun had come out and it was so nice on my skin. I just stood there for a bit before Daryl came to do the morning watch "right I'm here Max you can go" I just walked away not wanting to deal with Daryl at the moment. I had been sitting outside of the prison in the woods one of the only places I can rest these days. I walked around checking my traps out to find I had gotten five rabbits and four squirrels. I was more than happy with this load of food. When getting to the prison I was alone at a picnic table doing all the work with no one's help "if they didn't want to eat all they had do was say so" I said to myself enjoying the quiet of the end of the world. I had just finished with all the animals and Carol had taken them to cook them. I had walked into Hershels cell "Max what's up" I sat down in a chair "I ain't been doing to good" he does all of the checks "you need rest food and water until you have your strength back you are bed bound understood" I give him a nod and walk to where all my stuff had been placed. Thankfully I was in a far end cell away from everyone else in this place so I knew I would be alone. I pulled the curtin on my door closed so I could take my shirt off to show some very big scars I ran my hand over one of them and all the memories came flooding back. I laid down in my bed just thinking about all the good I have been doing for the group to now be bed bound, it was killing me not leave my bed, not being able to move properly on my feet.

A few days later

I had just gone outside to see everyone working on something I had my gun in my hands. I slowly made my way to the gates "Max were are you going you know you can't leave the prison" I turned around to see Daryl standing there "I'm just going to check on my traps" I started to walk to the gate "Max you're not leaving this prison" I pulled my gun up "I said I'm just checking on my traps got it. I haven't lost my happy trigger finger" "fine but I'm coming with you" I just walked out of the gate.

I had just gotten to the last trap "is this the last one Max" I didn't respond to him just got out a rabbit "we can go back now" we started to walk back "I don't get you no more Max" I just kept walking "what don't you get" "you don't like me but yet you just spent a hour with me" "I spent every god damn day and night thinking about you I even went looking for you until I couldn't because the group need me it also need you but I didn't leave, I didn't walk away" I grabbed my meat "if it was your stepbrothers would you leave" "hell no I would have stayed because of you Daryl, I wouldn't have said all the things you said and I would have fought for my brothers to stay" we got to the gates "I'm sorry for what I said Max I'm just not good at relationships ok" "we were good once before maybe that's the problem maybe you are still scared because what had happened last time"