𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 - ᴘᴀʟᴍ ᴏꜰ ɢᴏᴅ.

—— • ° ☽ ★ ☾ ° • ——

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 —
ᴘᴀʟᴍ ᴏꜰ ɢᴏᴅ.
ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ — ᴏᴍᴇɴꜱ

—— • ° ☽ ★ ☾ ° • ——

TRAVELING OBLONG CLOUDS COVERED
the sky a thick grey, obscuring the waxing moon that threatened to steal the sky as it's kingdom. Rain pattered heartlessly, bouncing off of the thatch roofs of Oxford and turning the dirt streets into mud, sloshed and trampled by endless footsteps.

Freyja didn't mind the cold that sunk into her skin and reached bones beneath flesh and blood. Her hair was almost as wet as her clothes, sticking to her face and neck, braids clamping together and a few strands curling.

She sat on the roof of the small homestead her brother had paid for the night, welcoming the rain to taint her natural warmth, to drown her in its wetness.

As a child, she'd sit in the rain for hours, days if she could before young Ragnar would wrestle her back into the house, just getting lost in the droplets that raced against time to hit the ground heavy and thick. She didn't care for the sickness she'd get afterwards, the fever that'd turn her skin a scorching fire - the rain was her comfort.

It was like a mother embrace that wrapped around her like vines of tree, the comforting kind that left her skin warm and her pulse to ease, that kind that brought hope into her caged chest.

Freyja squinted up at the sky, the silver that painted behind the canopy of clouds, the only sign that the moon was still there, still lingering although tucked away, hidden behind shadows as though afraid of the earth's gaze.

She gave a content sigh and rested her chin against the nest of her arms folding across bent knees.

A shuffling fell over her ears, breaking through the downpour of rain, but Freyja didn't even lift her head to see if the person was a threat, merely tilted her head and rested her temple against her arm.

"Want some company?" Uhtred's fingers dove in deep through the twigs of hay that made the roof and his head peered over the ledge with a soft look of concern buried within his stare.

He didn't wait for her to answer, although he caught her subtle shrug. He pulled himself up onto the roof, his heavy steps careful as he walked across, hoping to save himself of the embarrassment of falling through.

Uhtred lowered himself beside where she sat, legs dangling over the edge, feet swaying in the air. His hands folded in his lap and his cerulean eyes swept across sodden rooftops.

Neither of them spoke for a long moment, allowing the silence to soak in like the rain did their clothes before Uhtreds voice broke through the rain.

"I remember as child you liked to sit outside whenever it rained." He smiled fondly at the memory, as though experiencing it himself, but unlike her, Uhtred didn't share the same comfort for the cold, wet weather. "Mother would panic, fearing you'd gotten lost until she eventually figured out you liked the rain and let you be."

Freyja weakly smiled, her eyes falling shut against wet cheeks, making her lashes clump together. She listened to her brother's voice, smooth against a whisper.

"But young Ragnar never stopped." Uhtred laughed only slightly, his hand curling open to upright his palms, allowing for the rain to kiss his skin. "He'd spend hours looking for you, thinking one of the men had done something to hurt you but then he found you, hidden in a tree."

Freyja let a chuckle slip, unable to stop herself from burying the noise, and Uhtred smiled softly at the sound.

Lifting her head, emerald eyes taking in the sight of rain as it cascaded across the village, descending from the clouded sky above, she spoke. "I threw a seed at his head."