𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 - ɴᴏ ꜱᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀꜱ ᴀ ᴊᴜꜱᴛɪꜰɪᴇᴅ ɢᴏᴅ.

—— • ° ☽ ★ ☾ ° • ——

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 —
ɴᴏ ꜱᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀꜱ ᴀ ᴊᴜꜱᴛɪꜰɪᴇᴅ ɢᴏᴅ.
ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏᴍᴇɴꜱ

—— • ° ☽ ★ ☾ ° • ——

WEATHERED TREES ROSE
out of the earth to brush against the sky, barely-there sun-dappled leaves creating flickering shadows across the dead leaves and pine needles that blanketed the ground in clumps.

The cold wind sent a shuddering movement through the air, invisible to the eye as it shook the branches from their stems.

The leaves lifted in fluid movement, flying low to the earth and catching on her boot. Freyja eyed the orange coloured leaf, tracing a path of the vein-like pattern stemming from the centre before it was brushed away by another gust of breeze.

The ground crunched beneath her boots, twigs snapping, lifeless leaves bursting into shattered pieces.

Scattered eyes glanced in her direction as she stepped beneath the makeshift tent - a measly sheet of fabric held up by four wooden posts and rope.

Stepping in beside the tall warrior, her hand extended slightly to grab ahold of the post next to her. Her fingers curled around it, gripping the wooden flesh as she focused on the path ahead where the trees canopied the narrow clearing.

Seconds later, the newly anointed king stepped within the makeshift shelter. "It is Guthrum?" He peered over Uhtred's shoulder, staring down the endless, winding path where a gathering of Danes rode towards them.

Uhtred grasped the metal plating of his armour and spoke through clenched teeth. "Yes. You can see a bone in his hair."

There was pause of silence before Freyja spoke, her emerald eyes narrowing on the earl in the far distance. "It's his mother's rib."

Beocca glanced to Freyja - something flickered in Alfred's expression. "How endearing." The king trailed off sarcastically. "And the others?"

Uhtred's eyes widened as they settled on the blond giant riding beside Earl Guthrum. "It's Ubba," he trailed off, uncertain as to if he was seeing things. "The big man."

Freyja's hand became a fist, nails piercing into flesh, knuckles flushing white. Her jaw clenched, bone grinding against bone.

Never fight Ubba.

Alfred frowned and looked to Uhtred. "The chieftain Ubba is with them?" There was a look of uncertainty in his eyes having never seen the blond giant before - Uhtred and Freyja were the only two who had.

"You said he was in the north." Uhtred tilted his chin, sharing a knowing look with his sister. Both knew that with Ubba here, the negotiation wasn't going to be as easy - especially when the last time they saw either of the earls, it was their plan for them to kill them both.

"And now he is here." Alfred's voice grew low, words merely above a whisper, his expression a facade of tranquility. His eyes wandered away from the Dane's in thought. "This is good."

He stepped back, moving out from beneath the shelter, allowing for the sun to paint his skin white and his armour to shine beneath glowing hues.

The rest followed him, boots stomping the ground, leaving the two Danes to linger, but not before Leofric spared a silent glance between them - he was the only one who caught the expressions on their faces.