I.

A fateful day this was, April thirtieth of 'forty-five. I was making my rounds across the base and examining a document sent to me by General Callahan back in the United States, little did I know this day would change my life.

"Sir, we-we've come across something in the northeast part of Dachau while we were on patrol." Jack stammered out continuing to walk with me while I read the letter from my dear colleague and special advisor.

I looked up from the document and over at him quickly, my eyes scanning every movement he made and his almost terrified facial expressions.

"Jack, Jack! Slow down. What is it?" I barked, stopping in my tracks and eyeing him with a bit of concern.

"I-I don't know sir. I don't know. You wouldn't believe it even if I could make a description of it." He breathed out. He seemed panicked and shaken up. Whatever he saw must've left a mark on him.

I sighed heavily and nodded, "Show me your findings," I said folding my documents up and placing them in one of my front pockets on my uniform.

"Follow me Colonel." He responded walking back towards the exit of the base while I turned around and followed him.

He sauntered over to the pygmy which was already packed with two other men who were ecstatic to join the expedition into the northeast territories of Dachau. I opened the door to the small rugged vehicle and stepped inside, using the keys that were already in the ignition to power up the roaring engine and start out for the northeast.

The drive wasn't too far away from the base, but it wasn't very close either it was about ten miles from our small base. I didn't have the slightest clue of what I would encounter or what Jack had seen that made him so frightened, but I was sure it wouldn't be anything else I hadn't seen in the war.

"It's in the woods?" I asked raising an eyebrow, a confused expression spreading all over my face.

Jack nodded at me, "Over there," he pointed to a tall fenced in area that held what looked to be people.

I drove over to the side of the fence parking the vehicle, but not too close since I wasn't aware of what I'd be witnessing. The two other burly trucks that followed parked behind me; fifteen or more men exiting them and awaiting my next instructions.

I exited the vehicle also walking over to Jack and the others that had gotten out before me. I noticed one of my men was squatting down; his back was turned towards the fence and his gun in the dirt next to him. He also looked disturbed. He must've arrived here before with Jack.

I diverted my eyes from him towards the direction of the fence and when I got a closer look I noticed a bunch of women.

Women wearing dresses with ties around them, women wearing blankets around their shoulders, women wearing scarves on their heads, even women wearing pajamas? Striped pajamas. The only thing they had in common was the pale skin and the grim look on their faces.

As I stepped closer to the gates, some of my Lieutenants opened them up for me. The smell of death and disease growing stronger and stronger with every step I took. Some of my men even covered their noses with spare handkerchiefs because the smell was so foul.

"Sir." Jack gestured, turning to face me and standing patiently.

"Open the second gate." I said my eyes never leaving any of the women directly in front of me, not even for a split second.

A few of the Privates came forward one carrying large pliers in his hand to cut the chain and the other ordering everyone in the area to stand back while they clipped the chain on the gate and pushed the second gate open. The men took off their rifles aiming them in front of them just incase anything were to happen, but nothing did. The women only held the gate for us.