X.

E P I L O G U E

"And we tied the knot in April of 'fifty-four and then your grandma became pregnant with your uncle, Thomas and soon after-"

"Justin are you in there telling that story to Thomas again?" The withered woman's voice rang throughout the house.

"Dolly we're in here." I shouted back, Dolly had a habit of not wearing her hearing aids.

"Grandpa why do you call grandma Dolly?" Thomas inquired, propping his feet up on the coffee table while he stared at me intently.

I brushed a hand through my colorless hair, chuckling to myself before I spoke, "You see back in nineteen-sixty when those plastic miniature dolls were becoming popular your grandma and your mom loved them, grandma used to buy those things once a week for your mom. She even had a collection."

"You mean barbie dolls?" Thomas scrunched his nose up, shaking his head in disapproval and crossing his little arms around his chest.

"Yes, barbies." Dolly cheered, "but you know I used to call grandpa 'loverboy,' when he was infatuated with me." Dolly gave me a quick glance before she set the hot plate of cookies down.

Thomas stuck his tongue out in disgust as his little ears registered the word causing Dolly and I to break out in an obnoxious laugh. I suppose he didn't like elderly love.

Dolly sat down next to me reaching over to snatch a cookie while Thomas did the same, taking a large bite out of the gooey cookie. Dolly quickly pecked my lips before taking a bite out of her own cookie; mumbling a quick 'i love you,' under her breath softly.

Even after all these years I could never not adore that soft voice or that beautiful woman.

"Grandpa what is love?"

I shook my head slightly, clearing my thoughts of the old memories Mina and I had. I smiled at the small boy as he placed his elbows on his knees and continued to eat the chocolate chip cookie, face slightly covered in chocolate.

"Well. . . ." I trailed off, gathering my thoughts; "I think love is when you can put your own thoughts and feelings aside for that special person that makes your knees feel like jelly. Love is when you look at that beautiful girl in front of you and all you can do is smile because you know she's out of your league because she's perfect and well -- you're you. Even when people use the phrase 'we are all imperfect' you can't help but not believe it because you believe the love of your life is perfect. Love is when you can be yourself around someone, when you can sob into your partner's chest without feeling judged. Love is a virtue and  it can't hurt you -- ever. And most importantly love is free, it can't be bought or sold. Love binds mankind together even though it is free."

"So you and grandma love each other?" The small blonde boy inquired as curiosity filled his bright blue eyes.

Dolly nodded while I did too; grasping her small hand in my much larger one.

"Grandpa I want to be in love."

"Soon Thomas. Soon."

-deathlyhallows © 2015

//

this is such a cute ending im so sad:( (( first book i finished omg ))

shoutout to my friends for supporting me and loving me.

TYSM FOR READING!