II.

My thoughts were scattered; everywhere.

How could one man inflict so much pain on one race without news of this grotesque act traveling across the seas to the United States.

How could anyone condone this. This sick monster [Hitler] just wanted to blame someone for Germany's financial state. Better yet he just decided to exterminate a whole race,

just like that.

_   _   _

After about an hour and a half at the women's camp some of my men and I traveled down to the men's camp to liberate the last of the remaining souls that were caged into the camp and wandered around helplessly. The men reacted in a similar fashion, as the women did when they realized someone had come to free them. One of the prisoners even took my face in his hands and planted kisses on my cheeks, he was an elderly Jewish man and I felt sorry for him so I just let him continue.

I left all my rations that I had including my water canteen knowing it wouldn't be enough, but also knowing it would help some. When we had arrived back at the base we gathered more items like extra blankets, extra rations, extra shoes and even extra clothes. The items were split between the last of the survivors of both the camps.

The survivors were very grateful and did the best they could to continue to stay alive, but many of them still died each day because of poor nutrition and disease.

About three days after initially finding the camps I also encountered train cars. Train cars full of dead, emaciated, decomposing bodies. When I found them that day I was disgusted. The Germans must've been receiving more prisoners, but decided to abandon them when their source tipped them off that we were on our way.

"Colonel, Colonel!" Chris' voice echoed, as he jogged towards me pulling out me out of my thoughts. It was clear he was distressed.

"What is it?" I asked, as I sucked in my bottom lip in a paranoid manner. I was already on edge since I had discovered the death camps, I just couldn't hardly handle anymore bad news.

"Word from the North. The Soviets successfully overtook Berlin and found Hitler, dead. It is believed him and his mistress committed suicide on the thirtieth of April." Chris panted handing me the medium-sized telegram.

"Jesus, it's been three days how come this news didn't get here faster?" I snatched the telegram from him and rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"I don't know sir." He mumbled quietly.

I shook my head in disbelief, but stopped abruptly. I should've been celebrating that the little rat was dead, but I couldn't. Now what was to happen to the survivors of the death camps?

On my way back to the base I thought about what I was going to write to General Callahan since there had been multiple things that had occurred this week. First the liberation of Dachau, Hitler's death and I'm sure he already knew about Mussolini's death. Also I knew if the Soviets were taking over Berlin the war would be winding down and we would be sent back home, sooner or later.

I got out of the pygmy and trudged over to my bunker, opening the door and closing it behind me. I couldn't be bothered right now because I had a very important letter to write to Callahan and no one was going to distract me.

I wrote about the horrors I had seen at Dachau. I was very graphic in my letter, but I could care less. This matter was of the utmost gravity.

When I finished my letter I left my bunker and went to the tiny post/parcel office, addressing it and setting it in the "urgent" box. After I completed my task I continued my rounds and my daily visits to the bunkers, hoping Callahan would give me further instructions in his reply.

Callahan eventually came out to our small base and had relived my horrific experience when he saw the dead bodies and the barely surviving ones. He was so outraged he ordered the Military Police to bring in civilians to show them, that in fact this is what their leader had been doing to the helpless people under him. Most of the civilians wouldn't dare to go into the camps, others ventured in, but automatically turned around after seeing the cadaverous human beings pile out of their huts, some civilians even fainted after witnessing the sight.

That night, General Callahan had received a call on the telephone from General Eisenhower [Dwight D. Eisenhower] about the ordeal and Callahan explained the atrocities of what Nazi Germany had committed during Hitler's reign of terror. The press even radioed in for him, but instead he let me explain what happened, first hand to the press.

"Justin," he said stepping away from the desk with a small microphone in place on it, "I want you to explain what you saw. The first day you walked into the camp."

"Is that alright..I wouldn't want to ruin your interview." I protested walking over to him and the desk beside him.

"Nonsense," he waved me off, "I think you know it better than me."

I nodded my head obediently and sat down at the desk, taking a deep breath and licking my bottom lip quickly before I began, "Good evening, This is Colonel Justin Drew Bieber from Patrick Henry Village base in the town of Dachau near Munich, Germany," I breathed; shifting in my seat briefly before continuing on, "I have seen the atrocities that the Nazi Regime inflicted on the Jews and people of different races and genders. I have seen rotting bodies in train cars, sheds filled up to the ceiling with bodies, permanent number markings on the survivors skin, and nude bodies in shallow graves. I have seen their living conditions and their ghastly faces. I have seen the striped pajamas that hang from their gaunt bodies because they were starved, I have seen various contraptions used to torture prisoners. I have even seen the dead bodies found three miles from the camp from a death march that was held sometime before my men and I discovered the camp."

I went into mild detail about the camps and the prisoners, but not into too much because of the censor warning for children.

"I pray you believe my statement, this is only half the story. For most of it I have no words," I sighed, "and if I have offended you, I am not in the least bit sorry."

General Callahan was a strong man and no one had ever seen him cry, but on this day in nineteen forty-five I had been the first person to ever see him cry.

//

I am having so much fun writing this book, I feel like it really speaks to the heart (or in that case maybe just mine) what can I say? I am a full softie heh heh, but anyways I was looking at stats yesterday and I noticed I already had 69 reads just in the little time I posted it so thank you so much. This is my first story that deals with like the holocaust/40s, but I will definitely have one more that is circled around this topic. Anyways I hope you're enjoying this story. It's boring at first, but once I get to the main point it will be very interesting. Also just a reminder this is fiction and this whole plot would most likely not happen.