Helen's new family

Chapter 1

I ran away from home shortly after I turned sixteen, totally fed up with the fighting, the shouting and the endless arguments. I'd made some plans, but they weren't exactly thorough and I didn't have much money.

I caught a bus out to a vine-growing region in the countryside. I understood that there could be six to eight weeks of grape-picking work there - ten hours a day for six days a week.

I got a job straight away. I was housed in a 'picker's hut' - primitive and not very comfortable, but shelter, at least.

You usually did the picking in pairs and I was teamed up with a woman who was probably twenty or so years older than me. Her name was Ivy and she was clearly much more experienced and capable than I was.

It was hot, hard work and I struggled to begin with. Ivy was patient with me - teaching me and encouraging me. I think she could see that I was willing and trying my best.

Trouble was, we were paid at piece rates - the more grapes you picked, the more you got paid. Ivy was definitely carrying me for that first week and I felt guilty.

"We all had to start sometime, Helmut. You'll get there."

I did; my fitness and skill improved and by the end of the second week I'd caught up with her in output. I felt so much better; she had been really kind.

The picking on the property was finished after four weeks and Ivy said to me, "Do you want to come with me to the next place I've got lined up? Probably two or three more weeks work."

Hell, yeah.

"Listen, mate, if you like, you can stay with me in my van, sleep in one of the spare bunks," (Ivy had a nice dual-axle caravan).

Hell, yeah again.

I felt that I had fallen on my feet. For some reason, Ivy had taken a shine to me.

"Good. Now there is one thing, people might think it's a bit strange - an old duck with a toyboy or something; I reckon it would be best if we pretend that you're my son. Whadda ya think?"

"You're no old duck, you're my Mum," I declared happily.

"No doubt about it, son, you're quick."

I was really enjoying my new life. I did have one problem though, clothes.

I'd come away with only one change of clothes because I needed to travel light. Grape-picking can be dirty work; too often I was going off in filthy clothes in the morning because my other ones hadn't dried overnight after I washed them.

I had some money now and could buy some more stuff, but naturally, the couple of clothing stores in the area closed on Sundays, the only day we had off.

Ivy suggested that I borrow some of Corrine's gear, "There are two boxes of the stuff cluttering up the back of the ute. Have a look, take what you want, I very much doubt that she'll want any of it again."

Corrine was Ivy's daughter. Six months ago she had left home (the caravan, that is) to seek her own destiny - "I was pleased for her, love. I think we should all find our own path. Of course, I still worry about her; she is such a self-assured person, I just hope that she doesn't overplay her hand."

I found a number of items I could wear. "Mum, you're sure she won't mind?"

"Nah, love. Don't worry, she probably won't want this stuff anyway. She won't mind."

Chapter 2

Ivy lined up some orange picking work for us next and we headed straight there when we finished the grapes.