1. The Mutual Friend

He had met her before at his friend's birthday party a couple years ago. He was happily married at the time and thought nothing of her really. She was just a friend of his good friend Scully.
He remembered her when he saw her again one evening at the Chiltern firehouse and went over to her to say hello.

He was newly single, his divorce not even final and he had no intention of dating anyone just yet. It hadn't even crossed his mind. He was just trying to get through each day and be a good father to his kids. He felt immense guilt sometimes for breaking up their family. Well he hadn't really broken it up, his ex had. She decided she no longer wanted to be married to him after 22 years together.
He had tried to cling onto the relationship as long as he could, but eventually, he accepted the marriage was over.

She saw him approaching her and a smile spread on her face. He smiled as he reached her.

"Alright Kimberly, how are you?" He said.

"Noel! How are you doing? Scully told me about the divorce." She put her hands on his shoulders and gave him a sympathetic look. He felt an ache in his chest and let out a shaky breath.

"I'm doin alright." He shrugged.

"Come have a drink." She said and pulled him by the arm. He followed her to the bar and sat next to her.

"I couldn't believe it when he told me. I always thought you were so in love with your wife." She said.

"I was." He answered and felt himself tearing up. He looked away as he fought back the tears.

"Oh darling." Kimberly said and put her hand on his as it rested on the bar.

"Doesn't fuckin matter." He said then laughed it off like he always did when he wanted to mask his emotions.

"I have a room upstairs, come up and we can talk better. It's so loud down here." She motioned to the rest of the restaurant.

"Ok." He said and they went up to her room.

She poured him a glass of wine as he sat on the small sofa that was beside the bed. She handed him the glass then poured herself one before sitting next to him on the sofa.

"I've had my heart broken before. It's a terrible feeling." She said.

"I thought I had too, but I've never felt pain like this before. Fuckin 'ell. There was a period of time where I didn't fuckin know if I could go on livin." He said.

"But you did." She gave him a smile.

"I had to for my kids." He nodded then took a sip of wine.

"How are they doing?" She asked.

"They're ok." He shrugged.

"Someone once told me that the best thing for a broken heart is time. You just have to let the time pass and it gets easier." She offered advice.

"It'd be nice if it could pass a little fuckin faster." He said and they both chuckled.

"You'll get there one day. To a better place." She said.

He looked into her eyes and suddenly saw the way she was looking at him.

"You know, I've always thought you were a sexy man." She said.

He wasn't sure how to respond.

"If you're ever feeling lonely," she paused and leaned forward to set her glass down on the small coffee table in front of the sofa then sat back on the sofa and placed her hand on his thigh. "I'm here, if I can do anything to help. Anything at all." She said.