3. The Intern

He wasn't planning on attending the party, but the day before, she had stopped him on his way out of his management office and asked, "Are you coming tomorrow?"

"Comin where?" He asked.

"To my last day celebration. Tomorrow is my last day here." She said.

"Oh, right." He said, but had no clue who she was or what she was talking about.

"I'd really love to see you there." She said and reached out and touched his arm.

"Yeah, I'll come." He said reluctantly.

"Great!" Her face lit up "See you there." She said then turned and walked back to her office.

He walked out of the office and got in a cab. He texted Kat, his PA.

"What's goin on tomorrow?" He sent.

"We're having a party for Ruth. Tomorrow is her last day." She sent back.

"Who the fuck is Ruth?" He sent.

"Really? The intern who has been working in the office for the last four months?" She replied

"I never met her."

"Yes you did! I introduced her to everyone on her first day and you were most certainly there." She sent.

"I don't remember that." He sent.

"You had more important matters on your mind I suppose." She replied.

"Well she's just insisted I show up tomorrow." He sent

"You should, she would love it. You probably didn't notice she has a massive crush on you then." She sent.

"Really?" He replied.

"Yes. She only stares at you everytime you come to the office." She sent.

"I didn't know." He sent.

"We are meeting at the office for drinks then going to see The Cure at Wembley."

"The Cure? Fuckin 'ell, why didn't anyone tell me about this?" He sent.

"I'm sure I told you a couple weeks ago and I'm sure you told me you weren't interested." She sent.

"Well I am and I'll be there."

"Ok. See you tomorrow at 7 then." She replied.

He arrived promptly at seven, but was the last one to turn up. The office was filled with voices and laughter when he walked in. He saw Kat and smiled as she walked over with a glass of wine in her hand.

"The boss has arrived!" She yelled and handed him the wine glass. He took it and took a sip then greeted everyone that was there, last of which was Ruth.

"Ello Ruth." He gave her a nod.

"Hi Noel. Thanks for coming." She smiled.

"Of course. How could I not come to a party that's celebrating you." He smiled then suddenly felt a little embarrassed to be openly flirting in front of his office staff. He glanced around and no one seemed to have noticed. Except Ruth, who was grinning ear to ear.

"So where did ya find work?" He asked her.

"I'm going to be a media marketing specialist for a tv station in France." She answered.

"Oh wow. That's great." He said, impressed.

"Yeah. I really like it here, but that is a more permanent position and it pays better so."

"Sounds like a great opportunity." He said.

"So you like The Cure?" She smiled.

"Love 'em. Listened to them alot when I was at school and have recently gotten back into them since my..."