9. The Musician

Noel laid in the dark staring up at the ceiling. He wanted to turn onto his side, but she was asleep, her head resting on his chest. He had been fucking Layla, his new backup singer, for the last month. The American tour ended tomorrow and he wondered what that meant for them.

He looked down at her in the dark and smiled to himself. She was fun to be around and had kept the loneliness away while on tour and he was going to miss her.

She stirred then flipped over, freeing his body. He turned onto his side and closed his eyes. He tried to sleep, but he couldn't. He thought back to the day he had met Layla.

- 2 months Prior -

Noel walked into the rehearsal room with a scowl. The rest of the band knew he meant business when he was serious like that. Well everyone except Layla. She had been brought in last minute as a replacement to one of Noel's usual backup singers and today was her first rehearsal. She walked over to Noel as he strapped his guitar on. He looked at her with a blank expression.

"Hi, I'm Layla. Your new backup singer." She smiled and held out her hand.

"Hi Layla. Nice to meet you. Let's get to work." He said then turned to the drummer and started counting.

Layla dropped her hand and looked around. No one was looking at her and everyone was now playing the song. She walked back to her microphone next to the other two backup singers and gave them a face. Mary, the one next to her, patted her shoulder as if to say don't worry about it.

They rehearsed six songs then rehearsal was over. Everyone packed up and left, but Layla stayed. She stood by her microphone waiting. She wanted to talk to Noel, but he was talking to a sound engineer. Finally, the sound engineer left and she walked over to Noel.

"Noel?" She said.

He turned and looked at her.

"I just wanted to say, you didn't have to be so rude earlier." She said.

He stared at her for a second then spoke.

"Who are you again?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes and was about ready to tell him off when a grin spread on his face. She realized he was teasing her.

"That's not funny. I'm just here to do my job and I won't tolerate disrespect." She said matter of factly.

"I'm sorry if I was rude to you. It's been a fuckin' horrible morning that's all." He said.

She hadn't expected him to apologize.

"Still no reason to take it out on me." She said.

"You're right. I'm sorry." He said.

She decided he was being sincere and dropped it. They both walked toward the door.

"What was so horrible about it anyway? You decide your massive house was too small?" She said it with more attitude than she intended to.

He looked at her and smiled.

"I like you." He squinted his eyes.

"Good. You're stuck with me for the next two months." She smiled.

He chuckled then opened the door and held it open for her. She stepped out and he followed.

"D'ya need a ride?" He asked.

"No, thanks. I live close by. I can walk." She said.

"Ok. See ya tomorrow." He said then walked to his waiting car as she walked down the street.

Noel smiled as he thought back to that day. He had thought she was cute the minute she spoke to him, but never would have thought they'd end up fucking. She wasn't exactly his usual type. She was more rock chick than sophisticated glamor girl and had six tattoos. Her fun spirit and sassy attitude had won him over though.