4. The Ex

He opened the door and his heart started pounding. This was the first time he had seen her face to face since the divorce was finalized.

"Hi, are the boys ready?" She smiled.

It was supposed to be his night with the boys, but she wanted to take them to some event at the art museum that evening and Noel had agreed. He was slightly confused why she was so early though.

"Uh, they're still at school. They don't usually get home til half past three remember?" He answered.

"Oh right. I guess I am a bit early. Mind if I come in and wait?" She asked as she stepped inside the house.

He did mind. He wanted to tell her to fuck off and wait outside, but he didn't. He had promised himself he would keep things civil for the kids. He closed the door and turned to face her.

"Did you get a haircut recently?" She said as she looked over his hair.

"I did. This morning." He answered.

"This probably sounds daft, but can I smell your hair? I always liked how it smelled after you got a haircut."

Before he could answer, she was practically hugging him as she inhaled the scent of his hair. Her touch felt familiar, but foreign at the same time. She pulled her head back and their eyes met. Her face turned serious and she leaned in and kissed him.

His first instinct was to pull away and he did. Her eyes once again met his and she tried again. Her lips pressed against his and this time he kissed her back. She pulled away and glanced at the clock.

"We have time, but we need to be quick." She said and grabbed his hand.

He followed her to his bedroom, which used to be their bedroom. She pushed him down so he was sitting on the edge of the bed and she began to undress. He had hoped for this since the day she asked for a divorce. One thing that had never suffered in their relationship was the sex. He pushed his pants and boxers down to his ankles and she climbed into his lap before he could remove his shirt.

She straddled him and lowered herself onto his dick. She moved up and down as he held her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck. He looked into her eyes, but quickly looked away. Even though they had been together over twenty years, it suddenly felt like she was a stranger. He looked down at her body instead, as it moved on his. After a few minutes, she climbed off of him and laid back onto the bed. Noel stood between her legs. His fingers gripped her thighs as he fucked her. She touched herself as she watched him.

As he looked down at her, a realization set in. He had wanted this for months. For her to come to him begging, but now that he was fucking her, he felt nothing. It felt good. It felt pleasurable. But nothing more.

"Are you still on birth control?" He asked.

"Yes." She moaned.

He kept moving and could tell she was close. He knew the face she always made right before she came and she was making it now. Just as she threw her head back and moaned, he pulled out and came on her belly. She flashed him a look of disappointment.

"You know I like when you come inside." She said as she sat up.

"I know." He said and pulled up his pants.

She rolled her eyes and got dressed as he buttoned his jeans. She looked over and noticed the picture frame face down on the side table. She picked it up and looked at it then at him.

"Why is this face down?" She asked.

"Dunno, must have fallen." He shrugged and smiled to himself as he thought about Ruth.

He used to look at that picture of Sara every night when he went to sleep but he hadn't even remembered to place it upright after that night with Ruth.

She wiped some dust of the glass then set it back on the table, upright.
They walked back to the living room and sat on the couch. She tried to make small talk, but he wasn't really engaging so she gave up and they sat in silence for awhile until she spoke again.

"Are you seeing anyone?" She asked.

He looked at her and tried to hide his amusement. She always was the jealous type.

"No. Are you?" He asked.

"I've had a few dates." She said.

He wondered if "had a few dates" really meant "fucked a few guys".

"I saw Kat the other night. She said you were doing good." She said.

He looked at her and nodded slowly.
"I am." He said.

He knew she wanted him to be distraught without her. That it gave her a sense of power over him and he made a mental note to give Kat a bigger bonus this year.

The front door swung open and the boys loudly entered the house. They both walked into the living room and sat on the couch with their parents. Noel asked them about their day and they each recounted their days until Sara stood.

"It's time to go." She said and the boys followed her to the door with Noel not far behind. She opened the door and the boys ran out. She turned to Noel.

"I'll have them back by seven. Thanks for letting me take them on your night." She said.

"No worries." He gave her a nod and a slight smile.

She turned and ran to catch up with the boys and Noel closed the door. He sat on the couch and sighed. Seeing her and fucking her had made him realize he no longer needed her like he thought he did. He was beginning to be able to picture his life without her in it and he felt a sense of wonder about his future. It felt like a load had been taken off his shoulders. He felt an inner peace that he hadn't felt in awhile. He felt free.