just keep swimming

heavily based on how I fainted in my bathroom this afternoon from being sick :P

Gillion has always thought of himself as a sturdy individual. A support beam that will never fall. The base of a building.

So how come he was laying on the floor? This wasn't supposed to happen.

Why did he crash? Wasn't he supposed to be the sturdy one? The base? The support?

His thoughts seem to be coming in nonstop.
Nonstop, just like the training he thought never ended.
Nonstop, like the never-ending words from the elders that echo in his head.
Nonstop, like the thoughts in his head.

No.

This wasn't happening. The Great Gillion Tidestrider could never fall so easily, but the environment that he could faintly grasp around him tells a different story.

His ringing ears, his blurry vision, the slow water draining from knocking his barrel over. The signs were there.

The Chosen One had fallen.

However, all he felt was panic. Panic that he was going to worry someone. He didn't want to scare the crew. He couldn't let that happen, they've had enough worries already.

So he tells himself to get up. To simply Get. Up. That's all he had to do.

He shakily lifts himself up with whatever strength he had left. He decides to do things in little steps.

Step one, remove all evidence. He beelines to fix the barrel he knocked over. His vision starts to get hazier as he lifts the mostly empty barrel that used to be filled to the brim with salt water. The triton blinks a few splotches out of his vision as he goes to find a way to clean the water. His groggy mind decides that the best way the clean up the water is by using a blanket on a bed.
He tosses the blanket to soak up the water and as he does this he comes up with his second step.

Step two, find somewhere to rest that's not suspicious. Luckily, there was a bed next to which he slams down into immediately knowing that everything is obscured to the point where he could slightly fib his way out of.

He closes his eyes as his ears continue to ring. He finally can rest for a little bit...

The silence becomes comforting to Gillion.

Wait, silence? He realized the ringing in his ears had finally reached its end. He tentatively opens his eyes to take in the scene he caused.

All there's left is a soggy blanket on the floor. It seems that he'd done a great job at cleaning the evidence as well. The only thing he has to do now is throw the blanket off the ship without anyone noticing.

He sighs as he lays back on the bed, noticing a lack of a blanket. He realizes that he was lying in Chip's bed. Oops. Hopefully he won't mind too much, he barely uses his blankets anyways.

The triton scoops up the soaking wet blanket, and goes to toss it into the ocean. But he hesitates.

Nobody came, just like he wanted. Why was he having such mixed feelings about this?

Nobody came. Did they not hear him? They wouldn't ignore him if something bad happened, he knows his crew isn't like that.

Maybe he wanted people to worry about him. He shakes his head at these ridiculous thoughts.
Nonsense, he couldn't burden them with his silly wants. He abruptly throws the blanket overboard to ruin his train of thinking. It lands with a quick splash.

"What did Chip's blanket do to you?" A voice startles him as he meets eyes with his co-captain, the ex-navy, Jay Ferin.

A million thoughts run through the triton's head as he tries to make up some sort of bluff or boisterous response that fits with his persona.

"Gill? You good, dude?" He feels a warm hand get placed on his shoulder, calming his mind down.

"I feel great, Jay!" He slips back to his usual boisterous persona rather easily. "But we might need another blanket..." His eyes lead to the sinking lump that's Chip's blanket.

"I- You know what, I'm not even going to question it. Come on Gill, let's get another blanket." She walks away as Gillion simply just watches.

Gillion wonders if he really fell. The evidence was gone. His vision was really hazy. Perhaps he hallucinated the whole thing.

Oh well, nobody came so it really shouldn't matter.
Nobody was worried, and that's what mattered most. If that's all it took then Gillion would do it again in a heartbeat.