Take the Picture

Summary: Louis has a crush on a boy from the neighborhood, who enjoys photography.

Also, you guys are crazy, more than 30k reads, and twelve of the oneshots have over 1k reads, thank you so much <3

Also also, is there anything specific you guys want to read? I'm not saying I'll definitely do it but I just want to know what kind of vibe you guys want (no smut, it isn't gonna happen :) )

~~

Wiping a bead of sweat from his brow, Louis grimaces when he accidentally smears dirt across his face instead. Grumbling, he tries to rub it off, but with no avail.

"You've got a little something." His mum, Jay, playfully elbows him, reaching out and brushing it off for him.

"Oh gee, do I?" He rolls his eyes, looking back at the hole he's digging.

No, not a grave. He wishes it could be his own, that way he's get out of this seemingly endless gardening. It's never been an activity that's interested him, not even in the slightest, but he hates to see his mum outside on her knees, all alone on such a hot day while she tries to make the yard look nice. Though he tries to hide it, his distaste is pretty obvious, which makes Jay appreciate his sacrifice even more.

"I'll tell you what," Jay stabs her shovel into the ground, leaning back and looking at her son. "Why don't we take a break, and I'll go inside and make us a little snack?"

"I mean," Louis pauses, as if he's really thinking it over. "If you insist. I'm simply having so much fun right now, but I guess I could take a break. For your sake."

Jay ruffles his hair as she rises with a grin, disappearing into the house.

Standing, Louis brushes his pants off and flicks his hair out of his eyes. He's startled out of a whole body stretch when he hears the distant slam of a door, jumping in surprise.

Is it-? Oh, crap.

Spinning, Louis watches the boy across the street skip down his front steps, his usual goofy grin making Louis' heart speed up.

Harry.

Not just Harry, either. Harry Styles.

He and his family just moved to Doncaster a few months ago, and Louis quickly developed a severe crush for his new neighbor. Harry and his bouncy brown curls, mossy green eyes, and loud, boyish laugh had knocked Louis back into yesterday.

Too bad they don't really talk.

It isn't like they don't get along, they do. They get on the bus at the same stop, even sitting next to each other. On the first day at his new school, Harry had asked if anyone was sitting with Louis or if the seat was empty, and suddenly Louis left Niall scrambling for a seat a few stops later. Harry always put in his AirPods, though, inadvertently blocking Louis from any conversation.

Louis snaps back to today, watching as Harry and his trusty camera trot over to the large tree in his front yard. The camera seems to be an essential accessory for the boy, having it with him more often than not.

Watching closely, but not in a stalker way, Louis observes the smile that crosses Harry's face when he likes what he sees through the viewfinder, snapping its picture several times. He sits down beneath the tree, peering up at the branches with a curious expression. Slowly, he lowers himself onto his back, pointing the camera straight up along the trunk. Squirming around a bit, he seems to settle on the perfect shot because Louis can hear the faint clicking of the camera's shutter.

Louis' eyes follow the oblivious seventeen-year-old for a few more minutes as he flutters back and forth across his front lawn, squatting to capture the blades of grass blowing in the wind and stretching to get the camera high enough to photograph a bird's nest.