Rings

Summary: Harry can't find an important ring that Louis gave him, even though he's looked everywhere.

A short one, but I haven't written in like six months soooo

(Sorry bout that)

I love comments, they motivate me, so feel free to yap

~~~

Louis closes their apartment door slowly, taking in the chaos that seems to have ripped through the flat like a tornado. Couch cushions look like they've been stuffed back into place hastily, kitchen drawers and cabinets are wide open, and every tabletop item in the apartment is gathered on the kitchen table.

"Haz love, where are you?"

His boyfriend's distraught voice answers from the bedroom, which Louis rushes to after taking off his shoes and coat.

The bedroom is a mess as well, the bed stripped and closet torn apart. Shirts that Louis hasn't seen Harry wear in years litter the floor like popcorn at the cinema.

He finds Harry hunched over the sink in the adjacent bathroom.

"What are you doing, Harry?" Louis comes up behind him, placing a hand on his back to rub reassuringly while trying to see what Harry's looking at.

"I'm trying-" Harry grunts as he fights with the contraption, pulling the long, thin tool out from the drain before sighing dejectedly. Tossing the tool in the bathtub, be washed his hands and turns to Louis, wrapping him in a giant hug. "I'm so sorry Lou."

"Sorry? For what?"

"I lost the ring. I've been searching everywhere for it, I've absolutely trashed the flat looking, I thought maybe it slipped off my finger and fell down the drain but I've checked every sink. I'm so sorry." His eyes start brimming with tears, the corners of his mouth curling down as he tries not to cry.

"No, babe, it's okay. Come on." Louis takes his hand and guides him out of the bathroom, sitting them on the bare mattress.

"No, it's not okay. I loved that ring, it's the one you gave me on our second anniversary when I was nineteen. I remember you giving it to me. You said that once you felt like you built the life we deserved, you'd replace it with a real wedding ring. It fit me so perfectly, I wanted to wear it until the day I died but I went and lost it-" Tears trickle down Harry's red cheeks, shattering Louis' heart. He had no idea that a single day without the ring would break him like this. Or that he valued the flimsy old ring so much.

"Stop apologizing, you've done nothing wrong. I should be the one apologizing to you, love." He pulls Harry into a tight hug, kissing the top of his head and massaging him comfortingly.

Sniffling, Harry pulls back just enough for them to be face to face. "Why are you apologizing, you didn't lose it. I did." His voice breaks again.

Louis' mouth falls open, hesitating, but knowing he has to admit to it. "I took it. You didn't lose it, I needed it for something so I took it and didn't tell you. I didn't think you'd even notice it was missing for one day, I'm so sorry, Haz."

"You have it?" Harry gasps, sitting upright. "Where?"

Grimacing, Louis stands and heads to the kitchen where he left his work bag, Harry hot on his heels.

Trying to keep his back to Harry, Louis rummages around the jewelry bag until he finds the right ring, pulling it out and turning to Harry.

"It's right here, safe and sound. I'm sorry I caused you so much stress, I really didn't think you'd notice."

Sliding the ring back onto Harry's finger, Louis takes his hands and squeezes them, trying to show how sorry he is.

"It's okay." Harry smiles, positively beaming down at the ring. "I'm just glad I have it back."

Leaning down, Harry kisses Louis softly, hugging him close.

"What were you doing with it though? What did you need it for?"

Louis was really, really hoping Harry wouldn't ask that. Because he has no excuse. "I wanted to get it cleaned." Louis says, drawing out each word since he has no idea what word will come next.

"You're so sweet." Harry kisses him again. "Why didn't you just tell me though? I would've given it to you, you didn't have to steal it."

Yes, Louis, that would've been a much smarter way to go about this.

"I don't know. I just wanted it to be a surprise." Louis shrugs.

Harrys eyes narrow, giving him a questioning look. "You're being weird."

"No I'm not." Louis counters, much too quickly.

"Yes, you definitely are. I always wear this. How did you even get it in the first place?"

"I... um..." Louis looks around the room nervously, taking in the mess. "Why don't we talk about this later and clean up right now?"

"No, Louis. What's going on? How did you get my ring?"

"I... took it off your finger while you were asleep last night?" Louis mumbles, causing Harry's jaw to drop.

"You what?"

"Look, Harry, can we forget about it? Please? You trust me, don't you? You know I didn't do this to hurt you."

"I- Louis, of course I trust you. You never need to ask me that, I trust you with every piece of myself. I just don't understand why you felt like you needed to be so sneaky with the jeweler-"

Harry cuts himself off mid sentence, jaw falling slack as a wave of realization seems to crash over him.

"Louis..."

Louis smiles sheepishly at his boyfriend, whose eyes begin to water again. Reaching down, he picks the small velvet box out of the bag with one hand, taking Harry's hand with the other.

"Come on, love."

Wordlessly, Louis guides the couple to the roof, which overlooks the city, the sun hanging low in the sky.

"I wanted to ask you on the beach during our trip to Italy next month," Louis starts, turning his back on the sunset and taking Harry's hands. "But I just want to be yours, and the sooner the better. You're kind, you're brilliant, you're funny, and you're perfect to me. And I feel like I'm as close to perfect as I can get when I'm with you."

Harry's beam stretches from ear to ear, biting his lower lip as Louis sinks to one knee.

"I took your ring so I knew this one would fit perfectly. Because we fit perfectly. Harry, will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes of course." Harry whispers, pulling Louis to his feet and kissing him.

Once the ring is on Harry's finger, they both stop to admire it.

"I get my ring back and a fiancé?" Harry laughs, receiving a gentle punch to the ribs.

After a few more minutes of kissing and happy tears, Harry sighs wistfully. "Lou, I'm sorry I messed up your proposal. I should've dropped it when you asked me to."

"Don't be silly. I was going to ask you in Italy because I wanted it to be memorable. But I think this is going to be more than memorable."

~~~

:)

I have a longer one coming soon (6000+ words), I just have to proof read it