SETTLING IN

Three days passed since i last spoke Quill and Embry, and the longer i didn't see them the more i wondered what everyone liked about Jacob Black. The blonde girl, who had named me the 'California Bimbo' when she thought i was out of earshot was called Abigail; she did become more comfortable, however i still felt out of place with her and Ada and the rest of their minions. I hung around with Daisy majority of the time, and watched Quill and Embry from afar with the others their age. They seemed pleasant enough; always eating and laughing so loud the cafeteria shook.

It was Thursday afternoon; a study period all afternoon. Quillayute Prep was all about hitting the books - and remembering it too. I was starting to think of the school as more of a glass prison rather than a place to hang out with my friends.

"You have to work in groups of four for the study period you see." Ada said, rather as-a-matter-of-factly. "Said to stop people getting distracted. Fingers crossed you'll just be placed extra in ours!" I tried to smile, i really did, but the thought of being trapped in a group of girls like Ada made me feel rather nauseous.
"Oh, definitely."

We walked into the library with heavy rucksacks. Abigail and the others had obviously found a spot they were fond of; right in the centre of the library, next to the magazines. They dropped their things, beckoning me over urgently. "Just sit down! He'll let it slide." A girl named Kate hissed. She was close with Abigail obviously, and just wanted to get me over and done with. I shrug. "Sorry, what's that?"

"Sadie Prior! Welcome to your Study period."
A teacher with wiry grey hair and wonky glasses stood in the doorframe of the Library. . "Thanks." I nod, thankful that the library was humming with chatter instead of listening to the teacher baby her.
She leaned through the doors, mumbling to herself as she looked across the paper sheets on the billboard. "Aha!" She ripped the list from the safety pin, sticking up a fresh list onto the wall. She tapped it impatiently with her bony finger.

"This is the new group list with your name on. You're with..." she scanned the list, her face dropping into a frown. "Quil Ateara, Jacob Black and Embry Call." She puffed out, and with that she disappeared out of the doors with a slam.

I mope over to the girls' table, pretending to act apologetic.
"Sorry guys, I've already been put in a group."
Ada and a few other cry out, and Daisy nods apologetically. Some shrug.
"Total bummer." Abigail said flatly, her eyes not leaving the new Vogue beneath her fingers. Kate snickered.
"See you later then."
"See you tomorrow!"

And i was alone again, stumbling around the expansive library trying to locate the boys. I soon spotted them from around a corner by the motorbike section, laughing with a hum of upbeat chatter. Of course, i thought to myself. Quil perks up from his slump as i begin to walk over.
"Hey, California!"

As i turned the corner, I'm face to face with none other than Jacob Black.
There could be no other explanation for who he was; the same black buzz as the other two, yet more spiky. His skin was reddish-brown and sunkissed despite the thunder that brewed out the library window. He had the build of some sort of Greek God, and his muscles seemed to be bursting from his school shirt. His face was chiseled, like Michelangelo had carved him from marble; but when our eyes connected, i felt electricity through my core. His big brown eyes flickered open, and the books in his huge hands clattered to the floor.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, did i frighten you?" I held my cheeks in embarrassment, falling down to his level. When i slided the library card into his hardback book, i realised his hands were shaking. "It's fine. Didn't see you coming." He cleared his throat, a sheepish laugh escaping his lips. We locked eyes when we stood up, though my head was twisted awkwardly upwards to his height.

"So Sadie, Are you in our group?" I tore my eyes away from the boy to Quil, nodding - and they grinned. Someone on the other side of the library shushed loudly. I leaned on the table, attempting to calm the shaking in my hands. Why was i shaking?
"You guys are early. And actually here, there's a start."
"Lunchtime detention keeps us on time." Embry announced smirking. I hummed in response, sliding into an empty chair. Jacob Black glared at the front cover of his book. 'The Best Cars of 2009', it read.

"And.. i don't believe we've met. Jacob right?" He nodded, smiling shyly. "That's me." He said.
"Sadie Prior." My name rolls off of Quil's longue easily, his eyes on Jacob. His eyebrows flicker for a second. "Right." And i could feel him watching me from across the table.

And with that, i emptied my very own calculus library onto the wooden table. It shuddered with the impact, and when i threw my backpack to the side, their eyes sticking out of their sockets.
"What is this?" Quil gasps. "Did Mr Powell set this for you?" I sighed, nodding.
"It's nearly been a week and I'm completely stuck. First biology, and then Calculus. I'm glad my other subjects don't care, but shit man, this is Einstein mathematics!" I rambled.

"Hey, Jake is in AP Calculus." I glance to the giant next to me. Quill notions towards me, and Jacob looked up slowly, as if he would rather die than interract with me. "Let me see."

I ripped open my Calculus work book, pointing to the first question. I felt rather embarrassed, scribbles of threats and.. parts of the body in the answer box really showed my maturity. "Sorry about that." He laughed gently, brushing his black fringe out of the way. "At least you're good at art. Hey, this is easy!"

I rolled my eyes. "I can't believe this is how much work you get. Do you have any time for like, fun?"
"Oh yeah, there's enough fights to keep everyone entertained." Quil glances at Jacob.
"You're acting like you weren't suspended like, two weeks ago Quil."
"Joseph Arrow was being an asshole alright? That barely counts if i only hit once." 

The name perked my ears up. "Joseph Arrow? He's alright, surely? He walked me to my class yesterday."
It was true; he'd spoken to me in my English class; both of us at the front. "You have Spanish right? I'll walk you - i have french." He had said. He had curly black hair, with a skinny frame. Embry's face creased into a frown. "Don't go sloping around with Joseph Arrow, alright? All he wants to do is have sex with you."

"Embry!" Quil spluttered laughing in disbelief. My mouth hung open. "Right. I'll keep that in mind."
I thought that these Quillayute Prep kids were innocent? Joseph looked innocent enough anyways, and no one seemed to have warned me about him.
"What about you, California? Ever been suspended?"
I shaked my head. "Not properly."

"Boring!" Quil waved his hand playfully at me. "Jake you fatass, first you at all my snacks and now you ate my pen."
"I didn't eat your pen it's right there. Sadie-" Jake swallowed, shaking his head. "You won't know anything fun if you keep hanging out with Ada."
"Yeah, wrong choice California." Embry added.
"It's not like i want to." I mumbled. "I don't know anyone else."

"You got us." Quil winked. Jacob sent him a glare.
"Thanks. Ada and her friends are.. something." It was best to choose my words wisely, especially after finding out that Joseph was a perv.
"Yeah, really fucking annoying and like every boy that ever stepped foot into Quillayute Prep? Yeah, really something special." Jacob said. I laughed.

The bell shrieks overhead, and the boys exchanged glances with excitement.
"Shit! We're going to be late for the meeting!" They leaped up from their seats, scooping their things into their bags with a clutter. I'd barely stood up by the time they were halfway across the library.
"Later California! See you Monday!" Quil yelled ofer his shoulder, and the library door slammed.
That was the first time i saw Jacob Black.