CLOSER AND CLOSER

Living with Jacob was peaceful. In the week that had passed, the boys visited less and less, besides Embry and Quil. Deep down i wondered if it was to do with Jared.
I learned of his older twin sisters, Rachel and Rebecca Black, who live elsewhere. He slept on the couch, and disappeared often. "Sam Uley has.. smelled a Vampire around our areas." He had said. "We have to take care of it." And i accepted that. I was mever sure of what he meant by 'take care of it', but i never questioned it.

It was Prom week next week. My dress had a arrived in the post office from my step-father as a sympathy offering, and i tried to hate it. But he knew me all too well; It was beautiful and i knew it. "I might as will wear it.." i muttered to myself in the car. I left it in the trunk, just in case.

When i walked through the door, Billy smiled at me. "Welcome back Sadie. I've got bacon on the stove for you and Jacob." I nodded, guilty. As he wheeled to the study, i wandered over to the little red barn. It was Jake's garage, where i found out he liked to work on cars.

"Jake? Are you in there?"
"Yeah, I'm here!"
He grinned when he saw me picking my way through the sea of parts, opening his arms towards me.

"Hey."
"Hi."
I pressed my cheek into his warm chest, soaking up his heat. The Forks rain was back, and this was the coldest May i'd ever experienced.
"Were you just on the phone? I thought you were talking to yourself."
"Yeah. Nothing."
"Good. You feel even warmer today. I love it."
He laughed, rubbing my hands into his own. I blushed.

"What are you working on?" I pulled away slowly, savouring his warmth.
"Something little. Now that I've finished the Rabbit, i don't have anything else to do."
"I've got an idea for you." I pulled out the wad of Calculus papers from behind my back. "Do these for- i mean.. with me?" I grinned, and he sighed at me.

"Making me do Calculus on the one day I'm not in school. Tch." But he was biting back his smile, and flattened a plaid blanket onto the floor of the garage.
"But what's in it for me?"
"Here's my form of payment." I had come prepared with a whole tote bag of snacks. His eyes subconsciously twinkled at me.
"You're an angel."

We rolled onto the floor, setting out our snacks.
"Can we watch a movie? I brought my macbook."
"Sure."

And after everythingnwas finally set up, we began on the first page of the text book. I was laughing so much i could barely focus, and he ended up doing the entire first four pages while i watched the movie, resting my head on his shoulder. Then he gave up, and slumped onto the floor next to me. As the movie ended, and the barn was illuminated in the sunlight. I glanced at him. His chocolate eyes were already watching me.

"Okay, what the fuck was that movie?"
"Shut up, it was good alright?" I grumbled, drawing middle fingers in the corner of my calculus work book again.
"Borderline traumatic."
"Maybe i resonate with it?"
"Ha-ha." He said sarcastically.

I propped my head up with my arm on the blanket, and with the other, i ran my fingers over his huge hands. He watched observantly.
"What happened with you and Jared, Jake? Did i do something wrong?" I grumbled.

His brows knitted together. "He's an asshole. That's it."
"If it's to do with in the car, then.."
"It's not." He said quickly.
"Jake."
"Sadie."
"Don't lie." He exhaled.

"Fine. He was being a dick. Besides, i don't like being around him, especially after he met you."
"Why is that?"
"I can't stand his thoughts. He makes little scenarios about you in his head and it actually drives me nuts."
I stared at him gobsmacked. "What?"
"It's beginning to become a real issue in the pack. Do you remember what Jared said to you in the car?"

I nodded. "Leah was jealous of Emily because Sam and Emily are.."
"Engaged. And now Leah's apart of the pack with her almost husband who now can't stop thinking about his Fiancé."
"Ahh. So now they argue about everything because there's nothing to hide." Jake nodded.
"It's tough, not being able to hide anything. For example,"

He pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me playfully. "I can hear everyone's little crushes on you."
"Jake, don't bait your friends out." I mumbled.
"Don't be embarrassed. Quil has a big thing for you. The things he thinks of are much more vanilla though.."
"Jake!" I gasped. It felt as if my privacy had been breached. "Stop laughing! That's not funny!"

I raked my fingers through my hair. "That means that people have heard all the pervy things they thought about me..!" Jacob wiped a tear from his eye, his laughing subsiding.

"In all seriousness, he wants to ask you to prom."
I felt my heart sink into my stomach. Rejecting Quil felt like some sort of death wish.
"God. And i have a prom dress and everything."
"For real?" His eyes were twinkling. I nodded.
"My stepdad sent me it as a sympathy present."

"Then you have to go to prom. Come on now." I shook my head. "I don't know. Are you going?"
"Only if you are."
Butterflies released into my stomach.
"Then go with me. Please?"
We were sat up now, facing eachother expectantly. His beautiful eyes twinkled as the sun almost disappeared from the archway.

"Of course."
Without thinking. I planted a kiss into his cheek. His eyes widened, and he leaned forwards slowly. I licked my lips in readiness. Just a little forward.

RING. RING. RING.
The ring of my cellphone echoed across the car. He exhaled, eyes disappointed at i brought it to my ear.
"Hello? I'm in the middle of something right now." I snapped. Jake smiled at me, elated at my choice of words.

"Sadie. Are you home? Can you come let me in? I called your mother, she said she was out of town. What's going on?" My mouth hung open.
"I'm about half an hour away. I'll explain when i get home."
"See you then."
She disconnected.

"What's going on, Sadie?" He whispered huskily.
"It's my aunt.. she's in Forks."