SLEEPOVER

"But Jake! Look at Leah's hair, did i not do the best job?"
Leah spun obediently, giggling as I collided into her side. Jake stared back, bewildered, and maybe scared.
It was black now, and we were walking slowly out of the barn together. The others too looked confused, staring at Leah, who traced her fingers over the two braids topped with ribbons once again. It felt euphoric making her laugh like that, making her smile despite her misery.
We lingered around the doors of the barn as the other wolves piled out. The older boys stood infront of us, Jake with his arms crossed over his shirted chest.

"You look beautiful Leah." I added.
"I feel it." She said shyly, smiling at me. Her teeth shone under the porch light of Billy's cabin. She frowned at the others, the hint of her smile still lacing her lips.
"You guys don't like it?"
"No. No yeah, we- we think it looks nice." Embry managed to stammer out.
"Yeah, good job Sadie."

"Leah wearing bows. It's like lipstick on a pig." Jared snickered.
Leah's smile faltered, and she was frowning again. She reached to pull the ribbons from her hair, but i grabbed her hand. "Don't listen Leah. You can try on my clothes whenever you like. You look gorgeous." Her eyes twinkled, and she nodded, dropping her hands to her sides, and then around my neck.

"Thanks Sadie." She whispered. "You're a good friend."
"Bye Sadie." A voice spoke from behind her as she pulled away. Seth Clearwater smiled brightly.
I kissed his cheeky gently, holding his face with my palm. "Bye Seth. Stay in school yeah? Don't let them get to you."
He nodded, flushed pink even in the darkness.
"Bye Sadie!" They said, and they were all gone. A hand curved around my waist.

"Kissing Seth on the cheek? Do you like making people have crushes on you?" Jacob shook his head, flashing his teeth at me. I blushed embarrassedly.
"I didn't kiss him like that! I- ugh Jake! I was just being nice, i like him." I mumbled. "And i have to drive home! What time is it? I haven't picked up my phone since four.."
"Sleep over then." Jacob shrugged, pulling me into one of his bone-crushing hugs. I groaned as i felt all my organs contort around his huge arms, but his warmth flooded my body

"That's true. I'll text my aunt. Is it okay with Billy?" I wheezed as Jake let me go, flicking open my phone. His arm still clung on my waist.
"Billy loves you over. He says your leftovers taste the best all of last week."
We walked into the little red house, kicking off our school shoes. The room was as freezing as ever, and almost by instinct Jacob threw me a sweater off the arm of the armchair.

"What you did for Leah was incredible. I've never seen her smile so much, let alone laugh. Ever." He flew his arms into the air dramatically, earning a giggle off of me as Billy rolled into the room. His face was creased and wrinkled with wisdom as it contorted into a smile. "If it isn't Sadie Prior. Are you sleeping over?"
"If that's okay." I asked shyly. He nodded. "Of course."

"Dad, Sadie made Leah laugh today. More than once. Did you see her dancing around the porch?"
Billy nodded. "That hasn't happened since Taha Aki times." Even his laugh sounded wise.
"She's funnier than i thought she would be. And so kind. She wants to try on my dresses." I said proudly.
"That's good for Leah. She needs someone to make her smile to get her out of her misery. It's effecting the whole pack." Billy sighed.

I sat on Jake's bed as he raked through his drawers.
"That's at least six people in the pack that have a crush on you." He said, presenting me with a navy tshirt and tight black boxers. I pulled the shirt to my nose, inhaling. "Stop trying to embarrass me."
He frowned. "You are one weird girl, Sadie Prior. Smelling my clothes like that." He grinned. "Do you like the werewolf smell?"

"Can you shut up?" I rolled my eyes, attempting to hide my smile in the crook of his neck. he made a little sound of contentment at the back of his throat.
It was quiet a while, as we both sat back against the wall on his bed, me twisted into his side and him with his fingers twirling my hair thoughtfully.
"Are you.. bothered by it?" I recoiled back against the wall, stretching my legs across the bed. "The whole... crush.. thing." I winced at the word.

"Yes." He said.
"Even Collin and Brady? As in little boys who haven't even had their kiss?" I smirked.
He shrugged.
"I can hear everything they think about you. Quil's are pretty loud." He laughed once; one of those 'im pissed off' sort of laughs when something is bothering you.
"That must be hard Jake."

"'S not so bad." He said, but he didn't meet my eyes.
He was upset; but not in the ways I'd seen. This time, his face was soft, his eyes round and lips downturned. This was different. This was Jacob; with all the layers of wolf, of school, of everything stripped of him. He cleared his throat loudly. "It's embarrassing for the others. Imagine if everyone could hear every thought you've thought about your crush."

I smirked. "Yeah, that would be a pain."
His smile stretched across his face like the sun breaking from the clouds, his eyes twinkling. My heart skipped a beat as i realised; this was my chance.
I twisted onto my knees to face him fully, running my fingers over his broad shoulder. His eyes widened with surprise, turning his face fully to me. The pressure was too much, as his fingers grazed over my cheeks.

I reached behind his neck unconsciously. This felt different. More raw. More reckless.
"Stop. You're making me nervous." I finally broke, glancing down at my thighs. He chuckled, satisfied.
"How?"
"Shut up." I whispered. He brushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear, and leaned forward.

I squeezed my eyes shut as our lips collided gently, thoughtfully. I sat up on my knees, bowing over. He breathed out through his nose with satisfaction, fingers lacing around my waist. I slid into his lap, my fingers tangled into his black hair. This felt right, the way we should have had our first kiss, how we should have met. Not on a cliffside in tears, or at prom with his ex girlfriend. But in his garage party, with his friends and his dad who welcomed me with open arms.

I broke free for air, panting. He breathed evenly, his eyes opening slowly. His lips curled into a triumphant smile. His brown eyes warm and sweet.
"Be my girlfriend, Sadie,"