Chapter Twelve

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."

-Sun Tzu

After an extensive exchange of reassurances and an exhaustive enumeration of reasons why she felt perfectly well, Rose eventually persuaded the Doctor to accompany her back to Earth, all in pursuit of savouring a portion of chips. Initially, he'd wanted her to have them on the TARDIS, but she felt like suffocating. In need to get out.

So they'd decided for her home place, London.

Rose waited for the Doctor outside the time machine, arms crossed and leaning against the wooden surface. She looked over the city; it felt so alive. So many people, humanity, going on and living their lives; laughing, singing, running about. Rushing to work or school; or going back home after a night shift.

This was humanity. Keeping the cycle dynamic.

The Doctor exited the TARDIS and closed the door.

"Aren't you beautiful?" Rose said. The Doctor turned around, searching for the sight of a cat. When he couldn't find it, he looked back to her. She was smiling.

He pointed a finger at himself, unsure, and Rose's smile deepened. She let out a chuckle.

"You're teasing me." he puffed and rolled his eyes.

"Come on then." she looped her arm around his and led the way to the main street.

Rose jumped on the spot happily as they caught sight of a shop down the road. They entered, ordered the food and sat by the window. It wasn't long until she moaned as she chewed on the chips.

The Doctor raised his brows. "Blimey, you were hungry."

"Oi!" she protested and popped another chip in her mouth. "They're not the same in the other Universe. I missed them."

"They're not?"

"Nah." she shook her head. "There was always something off in that world. When it comes to the chips, I mean. They never got it quite right."

The Doctor shrugged and sipped from a cup of coffee. Rose tilted her head and inspected him curiously.

"I like the taste." he explained and Rose grimaced.

"It's bitter."

"Nice observation."

Her mouth opened in awe. "You're rather cheeky today, aren't you?"

"You started it!" he countered and grinned. "Need more?" he pointed at the already empty box of food and pushed his own chips towards her.

"Don't mind if I do." Rose did a little dance and ate. "Fuck." she moaned again.

God. Whatever thoughts seeped through his mind needed to stop.

The Doctor shifted awkwardly in his seat, crossing one leg over the other, and chugged down the coffee. He nearly winced at the amount of bitterness; but he needed it as a distraction.

"Are you okay?" she asked, cocking a brow.

"Hm? Yeah, yeah. Of course." he cleared his throat and shifted again, leaning forwards with his elbows on the table. "Always."

Rose stared at him, amusement plastered on her face, and smirked. She chewed on another chip and moaned again, this time not looking away from him.

"Stop...doing that." the Doctor begged and glanced away from her.