Chapter Twenty-Two

"While strength is the natural quality of an individual seen in isolation, power springs up between men when they act together and vanishes the moment they disperse."

-Hannah Arendt, The Human Condition

The prism of loyalty, caught between walls made out of broken glass, sharp and undeniably painful; reaching out for just a single touch but cooped in the deafening loss that had succumbed to existence. The kind that hungers for warmth and love, the kind that would inevitably fall to the demise of creation, the one filled with trembling hope and nostalgia.

Rose was loyal. To herself. Or at least used to be.

She stood trembling before Anthony, her tormentor, the embodiment of nightmares. The sight of him sent a chill down her spine, her body tensing with a mix of fear, anger, and a deep-seated resolve. Her heart pounded fiercely in her chest, a thunderous beat that threatened to explode within her being; it echoed the cocktail of emotions, as her adrenaline surged through her veins.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

But it wasn't him.

Yet she wished to kill him.

It clawed at her insides, twisting her stomach into knots and stealing her air away.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

The insecurity of power slipped in like a bullet through the flesh; reminding her of the pain that ricocheted the actuality of life, submerging the light that once was with fury and disdain.

Her hatred turned into fear. She hid her trembling hand behind her back and took a deep, silent breath. She couldn't show weakness.

It wasn't him.

"Sorry for trying to kill you." Rose managed to say.

The Doctor blinked. Confusion, wonder, anger and fear brew within the depths of his mind, like a catalyst of emotions that needed locking up. She apologised? Of course she did...Rose Tyler. The pure definition of forgiveness and compassion. Of course she would.

How come he didn't expect it?

Anthony shifted awkwardly and nodded. "No worries. I'm not really sure what I did, but there must have been a reason. So, I'm sorry if I did indeed do something."

"You're sorry..." Rose whispered to herself. She turned on her heel and scoffed softly, closing and opening her eyes rapidly, so as to not cry. The fact that such simple words caused such a ramble of reactions.

Fuck.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill him, Rose Tyler. Kill him. KILL HIM.

BUT IT'S NOT HIM.

WHAT IF HE IS? WHAT IF HE'S LYING? KILL KILL KILL.

IT WILL FEEL GOOD, ROSE. JUST KILL HIM. BUT I'M NOT A KILLER. BUT KILL HIM.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

K I L L  H I M!

"I'm okay." she looked at the Doctor, who had already advanced towards her.

The Doctor clenched his jaw and turned to Jack. "Why is he still here? Send him away. I don't care where. Throw him in the Rift if you must."

Jack crossed his arms. "Why?"

"Just do it."

"Doctor, I'm fine." Rose tried.

"Why should I?" Jack countered.