Chapter 16 (Edge): My Intentions

By any chance, do you have some time tomorrow to help me fix something?

I looked at the late-night text from Belle. This was new. It'd always been West mentioning things around their house that needed fixing and Belle protesting at first and then allowing me to help. Now, she was the one actually doing the asking, and I hoped it was more of a rhetorical question; I hoped that I'd been showing Belle these last weeks that I'd do anything for her and the children.

Of course. What time? And what needs fixing so I can bring the right tools?

The three little dots rippled for a minute.

No tools required. Come around six and have dinner with us. 

The dots rippled at me again.

If you want and don't have other plans.

This woman. She was the only plan I had, and even if I'd had something scheduled, I would have canceled it without a second thought. 

No other plans. Except to win you and the children back. But I didn't think that needed saying in a text.

I'd love to come to dinner. Can I bring anything? Dessert?

She took a second to respond. No, thank you. I have it covered.

Then I'll see you tomorrow around six. Good night, Belle.

Good night, Edge.

Belle had invited me to dinner and asked for my help herself, which made me feel like a fucking teenage boy the night before his first date with the girl of his dreams. I was hoping her texts to me meant I was making progress. That she was beginning to see how I was trying to make things right. That she could count on me.

That night, I went to bed with the biggest damn smile on my face. And it stayed on my face the next day at work, while I checked the time at least once every ten minutes. Six o'clock couldn't get here soon enough.

At exactly six, I was knocking on Belle's front door. She answered it, with West and Piper at her side. They were all smiling at me, and I was smiling right back. I held out the bright purple, pink and blue bouquet of flowers to Belle.

"These are for you, Belle. Thanks for asking me to dinner."

"Thank you," she said, her smile turning shy. "They're beautiful." 

Not even close to you, sweetheart.

Then I held out a little pink bakery box to Piper. "These are for you, Piper. Some sugar cookies."

Her smile got bigger since those were her favorite cookies lately because they have pretty icing, Edge, and she hugged my waist and said thank you.

I handed the other pink box to West. "And these are chocolate chip cookies for you. They only had pink boxes at the bakery, buddy. Sorry about that."

He grinned up at me. "I don't care. Thanks, Edge!"

"Boxes in the kitchen on the counter, please, you two."

The children ran off to do as Belle requested. "Come on in," she said, stepping back so I could come in. "I haven't mentioned to them that I asked you to help fix something. It's kind of...a surprise for them, in a way, so are you OK with not saying anything about it to them?"

"No problem, Belle."

"Dinner's almost ready," she said, again with that bit of shyness that made me curious. "Let me put these in some water and then it won't take long to get everything ready and on the table. I made beef stew, salad and some fresh bread."