9

"Are you ready?" He asks me as we're about to enter the planetarium.

"More than ready."

Stepping past the doors after paying the fees was pure wonder. Absolute starstruck wonder.

Stars in every direction. On our clothes, on our faces, and in his eyes. Under every planet bigger than ourselves was a description. The whole galaxy right in front of me. Hologram like walls depicting supernovas, red dwarves, nebulas, and even more galaxies.

"Funny to think that all these stars and planets have been here for longer than we have."

Catching me off guard I gave him a confused look.

"There are many things that we have just recently discovered that have been right above us for generations. So many things that hold so many memories that end up leading us to what we know now."

"It makes you think, huh? Makes you wonder just what else is out there."

"Exactly."

As we continued walking, we saw paintings inspired by space. We walked slowly; in all honesty I could tell he was simply following my pace. I could tell only because no one would ever walk this slow unlike me who likes to look at everything in pure detail.

"This one." I say as I stop in front of a painting filled with stars as little flowers and vines form around Saturn in the background. "This is the one that brings me nostalgia."

"Is that so?"

I nod.

"How so."

"I don't really know, it just does. Brings me the same feeling as if it would my home, a home I could never go back to. There's a word for that y'know? It's a beautiful word."

"Hiraeth."

I turned to him a bit surprised. I don't know of anyone who has ever even heard of the word.

"You're right Lexie, it is a beautiful word." He says as he looks deep into my eyes with a soft warm smile. The type of smile you truly never want to look away from. The same kind of smile that looks even better with the stars blurred behind it.

"They say that the word ties into the memories of childhood. Do you remember much from your childhood?"

The dreaded question of the night. Though there isn't anything bad I need to hide from my childhood, the only problem is I don't remember my childhood. No matter how much I try to, I can never differentiate my dreams and memories.

"No not really I guess."

"You guess?"

"It's hard to explain." I say as I look down fidgeting my fingers.

"Hey if you don't want to talk about it you don't have to, I didn't mean to pressure you."

As I look up I can't help but try and remember the last time someone asked about my childhood. It was always a topic that dad would never go into. I always assumed it had something to do with mom's passing so I never bothered asking.

"No it's ok, it's just difficult trying to recall those memories when I can never tell if they're really memories or just dreams." I say at last.

Turning towards him I couldn't quite figure out what his face was. He doesn't look confused but he also seems kinda sad.

"It's weird but what about you're childhood Ronan, do you remember anything from your childhood?"

He slowed down his walking a bit, looked up at the stars, then back at me and smiled.