Chapter 5: Freakouts & Stubborness

Aunt Venessa

Chloe's POV

The music sings along my skin as I shake the lust-drunken Angel from my arm, drawing in my hormones as I slip through the crowd.

She's the tenth person tonight that I've found knows more about what's going on in the world than most government officials. Apparently the Queen of Revelia has issued a State of Emergency, transferring all point of power towards Vilin's forces.

A decision that doesn't sound quite right to me.

Beyond the fact that bringing in Vilin Officers goes against everything that Magi stand for, Revelia should be much more well suited to fend off Shadows and Enchanted.

I find myself growing uneasy at the knowledge that's trickling down, deciding to head towards the bar where I can see Thomas scanning the crowd for his next target, silver white hair glowing brightly in the stringing lights. I make my way over towards my friend and coworker, hoping his information is a lot more sane and reliable than my own.

Feeling a bit as if we've stricken out, I finally approach Thomas and blow an annoyed breath out as my ears flick in frustration. I find myself gripping my tail tightly as I always do when stressed, the closeness of myself reminding me that I'm safe. Even in times of worries and stress, I know that I am safe. And yet I feel this odd sensation on the back of my neck suddenly as I go to talk to Thomas about the information I've gotten. To my curiosity I can see something behind me has caught his interest, my words clearly fallen on deaf ears.

I turn, hoping my patiently awaiting friend finds his Soulmate that will hopefully heal the scars he pretends he doesn't carry.

I face the men behind me with open regard, wondering which it was that caught Thomas' eye, but I find my own attention wavering as I take in the man before me. He's clearly a wolf, his large wide frame and bulging muscles that he attempted to hide beneath a clearly too casual shirt. The type of man that takes his job and himself too seriously.

I want to just dismiss him and melt back into the ocean of bodies and music but I find myself trapped by his gaze that's filled with such intensity it's almost terrifying.

Confused, I realize he's reaching towards me, and it's only then that I draw in a breath of surprise, not even aware that it was held in mild anticipation.

As I draw in much needed air, a whiff of the evergreen and warm stone, the warmest, most coziest smell I've ever encountered. I feel my body come alive in ways I've never felt, my heart rate racing in my chest as my body seems to be pulled towards the rugged stranger that stares seemingly into my soul.

And I watch, in utter horror as his face softens and his hand going to cup my face.

Because it's only then that I'm forced to accept the reality that I tried to hard to pretend isn't there. The butterflies, the warmth, the artificial euphoria forced down my throat. Along with bile, hatred and despair as I back away from the walking chains that Celeste has forced upon my wrists.

My life.

My heart is broken and full of hate as I force my way through the crowd, the people unconsciously moving with my will, my pheromones spreading like wildfire as stress and denial wash over me.

I whisper a spell that every Super worth their salt knows, dampening my scent so the damn Wolf can't track me.

His chocolate brown eyes flash in my mind, my chest squeezing at the sight of him. And the thing that absolutely destroys me is I don't know if it's out of fear or fabricated attraction that's been forced upon me without a second thought.