Chapter 11: Distrust & Half Truths

Briana- Alex's Sister

Chloe's POV

I walk through the entry way, fighting against every instinct in my body telling me to turn tail and run away.

And while I would love to disappear off the face of Alamore without a seconds thought, as Thomas so kinky reminded me, I as an Incubus, that's impossible.

When Supernaturals find their Soulmates, it changes their very being and soul, it's much more than a botched arranged marriage. Those who are in non-matal relationships will no longer feel the natural grown chemical reaction of what Divine Children like to call 'lesser love'. All fondness they once had is erased and their own interests lie in whoever it is that they're prisoner to for the rest of their lives. So there's no choice about it, and most of the time people don't even have it in them to even notice or care about what is stolen from them.

And it gets more specific from there, as a half sex Daemon, after we've reached maturity, which takes around eighteen years, our powers of sexual persuasion and mind manipulation awaken and we can no longer substain ourselves through food. From then on, our energy, as well as our powers comes from the sexual energy we gather and collect from our partners and those active around us. Our bodies are made for it, and we all have a spark or ten for being mischievous and coy at time, but that all gets taken away at a moment notice if your Soulmate appears. Then the only person who can feed you is them, shacking you to them forever unless you want to live with endless and boundless pain.

As a Hybrid, my body isn't as reliant on sexual energy as a pure Incubus, able to survive off of regular and mana enriched food, even still, the only way I can charge my Incubus powers and tap into the mind control and pheromone spray, I need to be fed.

Chan relies on me and I promised to help him out and do all I can to see his dream realized even if it means giving my life.

Which it's almost come to a few times.

To go back on my word now would be petty.

So I swallow my pride, or as some would call it, fear, and force myself over the threshold of the house. I try to distract myself from the mind numbing sensations that seems to pass between our bodies, feeling almost like it was plucked from a history book of legends and placed here in the middle of the forrest.

The door closes behind me making me jump. I'd rather have my exits clocked and be ready to move at a moments notice. I don't like leaving myself so vulnerable like this, especially without back up. I feel naked without Chan and Thomas by my side. I much like the rewards of 'scary dog privileges'. With a half defeated, half determined sigh, I make my way down the hallway that has two wide openings, one along the left a few feet ahead, and another at the middle of the hallway, a stairwell ending the passageway, though I spot what looks like a basement door on the left side of the stair base. I mark the door in memory before taking in the kitchen as Alex passes it, the name almost sounding familiar in my mind as if it's been there a thousand times, as if I've screamed it on my lips at the top of my lungs and whispered the name to my heart, but the feeling is gone in an instant and I find my anger simmering beneath the surface, hate for these shackles that feel so dense on my ankles as I shuffle forward into this fr abrí ares fairy tale.

When I turn right into the living room, it's only then that I realize the hallway s lined with pictures from every season and every occasion, we'll except in the past few years, and the living room is no exception, photo albums stacked in a woven basket by a stone faced fireplace that doesn't look like it's been lit in ages.

Alex turns towards me with a strained smile, every emotion the man is feeling out on display for the world to see.

It's a bit annoying to see every ounce of anxiety and fear coursing through him. I wish he would learn to put on a better face. Guess that shows the differences in what we've had to sacrifice. I should've known as much with him being a Divine Child. Mild disgust fills me, but I keep it inside as the wolf gestures around the large and frankly comforting house. From the blankets in the couch, the matching style throughout, the hand tool markings on the beams and floors show me how much love and care we're put into this house. A part of me wants to click play on the world and simply explore every single nook and cranny in this place, unlocking every secret and every mystery.