Chapter 6: Heartbreak & Redemption

Example of a Solid Shadow made from a Super's actual Shadow encapsulating a part of their soul in the spell giving the Shadow intent. This can be used for good or evil, based on the one who wields the power.

Alex's POV

I watch for a moment as he disappears into the crowd, my body frozen as my heart breaks into a million pieces.

My biggest fear come to fruition.

The look of absolute horror and despair on the Incubi's face cracks my heart the more I think about it. That look, directed at me, felt like it confirmed all my darkest insecurities and my deepest fears, a look into darkness that might draw you in, and never let you go.

There's hands on my shoulder, and I feel myself being shaken, the familiar and startled face of Johnathan bringing me back from the pit of despair that seemed to open up around me.

He's talking to me, but it takes me a few moments to be able to catch on to what he's saying, my mind struggling to catch up. "....okay? You look like you've just seen a ghost." I finally manage to make out just before my body catches up to my brain and I'm pushing Jonathan out of the way, the scents of strangers and the thick smell of arousal threaten to erase proof of of Soulmate, but my nose is strong and I follow the tantalizing smell of cinnamon and roses out of the side door. I'm following the trail of the scent quickly, not wanting to shift into my wolf form and startle him, but a few yards away from the door, his smell vanishes.

The last remaining hope that I managed to hold on to, slips between my fingers, emotions too intense to begin to describe grips my heart.

I stumble to a stop in the middle of the road, earning weird glances from those around me, but I pay them no mind. I don't care about any of them. The only person in the world that I felt was made for me, wants nothing to do with me. What kind of twisted fate is that?

Bile roses in my stomach, the alcohol that offered a mild relief and bliss to my troubles only making my stomach churn now.

I turn towards the bushes along the side of the road and find myself puking in public for the first time since I was sixteen and dumb with James and a bottle of Moonshine.

I shiver in disgust at the sour bite that lingers in my mouth, and I realize after a moment, that there's someone standing beside me. From his scent I can tell it's Johnathan, but he doesn't say anything. In fact, this is the first time tonight that the bastard hasn't uttered so much as a word.

"Come to rub it in?" I snap harshly, surprising even myself. I know I don't mean it, Johnny has never been a malicious person. Just an asshole that takes 'telling it like it is' a little too far.

I open my mouth to apologize, but to my surprise he just laughs. Like a genuine full belly laugh as he shakes his head and nods to some giggling girls that walk past, ignoring ong me completely. Not that I care. I just stare at Johnathan, raising up slowly until I'm standing beside him.

He immediately starts walking towards the path we came from, and I don't even have it in me too remind him of the mission we came to accomplish in the first place.

Every part of me feels like a failure. A flake. Can I even call myself a wolf, much less Beta of the Autumn Falls Pack? I feel like a fucking joke. Thankfully Tobias is still asleep, anxiety raising in my throat as I realize I'm going to have to explain to my wolf that the person that we've been waiting for, the man we wanted to cherish forever with affection and love in return, ran away from me with a face full of horror and disgust.

I feel nauseous again.

Johnathan's pace is slow, so I have no problem matching it.

At this rate we won't get to the pack until just before the meeting. But I can't care. Honestly I'm not even sure I feel like going home at the moment. And the reminder that I'm destined to die alone in that house surrounded by the ghosts of those that used to love me.