Chapter 3

Sino'ng matino ang utak na ipambayad ang isang katulad ko? Siyempre, hindi 'yan ang Emperor. May saltik 'yon, 'e. Shuta.

Kasalukuyan akong nakadapa sa higaan habang binasa ang report tungkol sa asawa ko kuno. Inis kong pinunit ang papel na naglalaman ng mga detalye. Details that doesn't even makes sense! It says, 'He is a young Duke, not old, but still young. The title was given to him at the age of 4. Tall and gorgeous.' See? It doesn't make sense at all! Except the title part. What a useless Private Investigator my Dad has.

I heard a soft knock at my chamber's door. It's probably Aris. "My lady, I'm coming in."

Hindi ko siya nilingon at patuloy na minumura ang Emperor sa utak ko. That useless old man! How can he do this to me? I mean, I wasn't that hard-headed and a 'villainess' just to deserve this, right? I already repented for my so-called sins. Was 8 years not enough?! And Dad didn't do anything about it! But I can't blame my Dad. I know he is only following orders from that old man.

"My lady. The Emperor is asking for your audience at the palace's study room. His Grace is already there, just a few minutes ago. The carriage is ready outside."

I bit my lip and sigh. What now? What does he want from me at this moment? Gamble pa ng gamble, matatalo rin pala.

"Lead the way, Aris."

The ride towards the grand palace was unbelievably short and it is making me nervous. When we arrived, we are immediately attended by the palace's servants and was guided to the study.

As I walked down the dimly lit hallway of the grand palace, my frustration grew with every step. I still couldn't believe the audacity of this shitty old man to force me into this marriage with the duke from a distant empire! Hah! Oh God and Goddesses, pardon me for 'disrespecting' this shitty emperor. Kakabalik ko lang sa parusa ko, ah. Ano sa tingin niya ang ginagawa niya? Kinabuti ba 'yon sa emperyong 'to?

With each footfall, I continuously muttered curses under my breath. Marriage was supposed to be a bond of love and affection! Though, I don't believe in this so-called affection and bond of love. Like iw. But don't get me wrong. I am raised in a household full of love.

I dislike the idea of getting married because of love and so on but I mostly hate a political arrangement designed to secure alliances and power! Like man, can I just remain single?  Yet, here I was, the unwilling pawn in their grand game.

As I continued my march towards the study room, my mind raced with thoughts of escape. I had already accepted my fate, but I'm a well-known villainess. Bakit hindi na lang natin panindigan, 'diba? Right now, there are plenty of plans, ways to escape this unbelievably disgusting marriage.

I sighed. I knew that, for the sake of my family's reputation and the stability of the empire, I had to put on a facade of compliance and obedience. But deep down, hindi ako masaya sa naging sitwasyon ko dahil sa matandang 'yon.

My plan to escape this unwanted marriage wasn't that consistent, but I was determined to find ways. Makaya ko man o hindi. Mamamatay man o mabubuhay. Perhaps I could find a way to win the duke's trust and then, when he let his guard down, I'll vanish into the night. Or maybe I could uncover a secret that would make the marriage null and void. Aren't I a brilliant woman?

My thoughts were interrupted as we reached the heavy doors of the study room. When we arrived, the doorman pushed the doors open, revealing the imposing figure of the emperor, seated behind a grand desk. Beside him is my Dad, with a sad emotion plastered on his old face.

"Ah, there she is," the emperor said with a smile that didn't reach his eyes. This sly man! "Today marks the beginning of your new life, my dear Cerisxe. You should pack your things and shall depart for your husband's country immediately. The Duke is impatiently waiting for you at his den."