Ch. 1 after the heir

I was sitting at my vanity while Mary was doing my makeup for tonight's report. I wouldn't be on the report, but I still needed to look my best considering tomorrow Maxon and I would resume our King and Queen duties. Tonight was Eadlyn's night, she would be announcing her future husband. I was extremely nervous about who she would choose. All I knew is that it was down to Kile and Henri. Eadlyn had talked fondly of Henri, but their relationship would just be too unconventional.

Maxon had already gone down to the studio to help Eadlyn with any last minute nerves. Mary had finished dressing me in a deep blue gown and white heels. I looked in the mirror and noticed the tip of my scar. I wished the neckline was a little higher so it covered all my scar, but it was too late to change. I took one last look in the mirror and walked out the door. Aspen was waiting outside the door, which didn't surprise me.

"Jameson was supposed to be my guard today."

Aspen took his place beside me and looked me over. "Maxon saw me downstairs and asked me to come relieve Jameson and check on you."

"Mmm. I wish he would just trust me to be alone. This is all starting to become too much for me."

"Mer, you scared him to death. When you, you were rushed into surgery and the doctor told him that he didn't know what would happen. I saw in one moment his entire world fell apart. He couldn't imagine going on without you. He nearly died right with you. America, he's terrified that you'll try to leave him again."

I stopped walking and took a moment. I was trying not to cry when I started walking again. "Aspen, I didn't try to leave him. I don't want to make him feel like that. Aspen, you act like I don't know my husband. I know that he is struggling with this. I just want to make him better. This anxiety is going to kill him."

Aspen and I continued walking to the studio. "Mer, I didn't mean that you wanted to leave him."

"I know. Aspen, We've been through this before. He's having nightmares and panic attacks again."

"Like you said, we've been through this before. We can make it through again."

We arrived in the studio and I did a quick scan and couldn't find Maxon or Eadlyn. I instead found Marlee and Lucy chatting in the corner. I made my way over to them. We all chatted for a bit before I saw Gavril and Aspen talking to each other. Aspen caught my eye and waved me over. I quickly excused myself and walked over. As I approached they both bowed and I quickly dismissed it.

"Your Majesty, we can't locate the king or princess." Gavril glanced around worried before looking to Aspen.

"The guards are working on finding them, but the report starts in a few minutes."

I was speechless. Maxon was never late to a report. "I will stall on the report if I have to, but I am sure that they will make it on time."

Gavril laughed, "I remember the King's report when he announced you as his wife. He kept begging me to start early so he could tell the world who the love of his life was. He couldn't wait to start and now your daughter is cutting it close."

I laughed and rubbed Gavril's arm. "I do remember that. He threatened to turn the cameras on himself."

"Yes he did. I had to have guards stationed at the cameras so he wouldn't touch them." Gavril looked at me and patted my hand. "Your Majesty, if I may say how happy I am that you are okay."

"Thank you, Gavril."

"I was wondering if in the next few weeks you and the king would consider doing a sit down interview on the report. A way of assuring the people that their beloved queen is alright."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll discuss it with Maxon and let you know."

As Gavril went to answer the door swung open and Eadlyn and Maxon walked through it. Maxon's suit was uneven in the shoulder and he was fiddling with the buttons of his shirt. Gavril immediately left to brief Eadlyn and Aspen went to find Lucy. Maxon caught my eye and made his way over to me. He planted a kiss on my forehead and pulled me to him by the waist.

I turned around and fixed his suit. "What happened in the hallway?"

"I told her about my father and everything else." Maxon pulled me back to him. He seemed like he might crumble without my support.

"I'm so sorry." I grabbed his hand on my waist and squeezed it. "Are you going to tell the others?"

"Not if I don't have to you."

I nodded my head and focused my attention on the stage where Eadlyn was talking. She was explaining her choice and who she had eliminated. All of a sudden she announced that she was marrying Erik. I was stunned.

I turned to Maxon, who was smiling. "Erik the translator?"

"Yes, Dear." He took my arm and placed it in the crook of his elbow as we started walking toward Erik. "She told me she loved him and wanted to marry him. I told her she could."

"She loves him." Joy filled my heart as I looked at Maxon.

He shook his head. We joined the quickly growing circle around Erik. Maxon shook his hand and I offered him my hand, which he looked utterly confused with, so I gave him a small hug. I looked over at Eadlyn who had joined us and she wore the brightest smile I had ever seen her have.