Chapter 1

- What happened?

- I don't want to talk about it now.

- Please tell me what you did, Irina - His tone conveys anxiety, but for some reason, I am irritated by his insistence.

- You don't need to worry, he likes you more than me. Your future is fine.

- You know perfectly well that is not what I care about - he hugged me.

Yuri Orlov, twenty-five years old, son of a very influential family in the world of oil. We met at a fundraising party for charity, which is nothing more than a gathering of very wealthy people who made their fortunes in criminal ways. Charity is just an excuse to look good in a society controlled by the government, where the manipulation of the media and public opinion is constant. I was sitting alone because none of the other kids dared to talk to me, but there was a boy who was constantly looking at me. I remember thinking how easy it would be to get out of the chair and punch him, but my father would probably be displeased with the situation. Instead, I paid attention to details and easily found out who his family members were.

Both alone with parents uninterested in us, the best combination is impossible. I focused my gaze on him and did not look away for a few minutes. I was Irina Petrov, and I was not going to miss a game, even if I was bored to death.

When he had enough, he approached me.

- Can you stop being weird, little shit?

- You started.

- Respect your elders.

- Respect is not gained by age, but by actions - I heard this phrase in a movie and I decided to adopt it to look smart. After all, everyone would find it quite surprising for a child of my size to utter such wisdom. The fact is, I had no idea what was the meaning of what I said.

He just stood there looking at me like I had three heads and four eyes, a red flush appeared on his cheeks, and he turned around.

- Don't even think about leaving - I commanded.

- And you have been in charge since when, little shit?

- Shut up, do you know who I am?

- It is impossible not to know - he rolled his eyes.

- Then if I say stay, you stay - I smiled and he returned the smile, a twisted one.

By mere coincidence, our families did business together and that helped us to get closer. First monthly visits, then weekly, then he started spending afternoons at my house, afternoons turned into days and nowadays he lives here. First stranger, then confidant, and now boyfriend.

- He should rest. Tomorrow, we have a long day ahead.

- I am going to the club with your father - he declared.

- Again? Wouldn't you rather stay here, in the warm with me? – I make puppy dog ​​eyes to try to convince him.

- Business baby - he puts on his coat, kisses my head and leaves me alone in the room. A deep silence invades me and with it comes sadness. My cheeks are less red, but my scalp hurts, he must have pulled out some hair when he grabbed me. There were a few times I said not-so-nice words to him but all those times ended like this. I was the dumb one for forgetting.

I shake my head to get rid of these thoughts and decide to go to the kitchen for a bite to eat since I've barely touched dinner.

I turn on the lights as I go through the rooms in the house until I reach the kitchen. I see that this one is already lit, and I pray mentally that I don't cross paths with my stepmother.

- Have you come to eat? - Nikolai said with a mouth full of cookies.

- You rat, leave my cookies alone!

- Not yours, ours.

- Communism doesn't work in this house, little Marx – I steal one of his hands – Can't sleep?

- No. I just don't want you to get hurt.

- That's not going to happen, I have full confidence in Aza. We will win first place.

- I don't know how you can have so much confidence in a horse, but if you say I believe - he leans against me as if I were a simple child, even though he is fourteen years old.

- It's not just any horse, it's mine. I raised him from a foal, remember?

- You could like golf or something less dangerous.

- Ohh, is my brother worried? – I say in a joking tone – Do you want me to dedicate myself to sports for elderly people?

- You're such an idiot - He punches me in the arm.