Chapter 1

Buffy Summers took a deep breath as she walked through the bustling campus of UC Sunnydale. The transition from high school to college hadn't been easy for her. Being the Slayer, she was used to battling vampires and demons, not navigating the treacherous world of higher education. But here she was, determined to make the most of her first day.

Buffy meets up with her best friend Willow and they head to the library to get their course books.

Buffy: "It's too bad Giles can't be librarian here. Be convenient."

They reach a landing and turn left to continue up another flight.

Willow: "Well, he says that he's enjoying being a gentleman of leisure."

Buffy: "Gentleman of leisure? Isn't that just british for unemployed?"

Willow: "Uh-huh, he's a slacker now."

Buffy: "Speaking of slack, have you heard anything from Xander?"

Willow: "Not for awhile, he's still on his cross-country-see-America thing. He said he wasn't coming back until he had driven to all fifty states."

Buffy: Did you explain about Hawaii?"

Willow: "Oh, he seemed so determined."

They enter the library, a huge room with a vaulting cupola ceiling. They keep walking and go into the bookstore. In the bookstore students are milling about carrying books in shopping baskets. Buffy carries an arm full of books while Willow walks beside her.

Willow: "We're looking for 'Introduction to Psychology.' Oh, up there."

She indicates three of four books stacked on the edge of the top of a bookshelf.

Buffy: "I'll get'em. You know, this store discriminates against short people."

Willow: "Oh, I think there's a protest next week."

Buffy reaches up and accidentally knocks the books off.

Buffy: "Woah, oh!"
They fall on the head of a young man crouched underneath. He staggers back but recovers.

Buffy: "Oh, ahh. Oh god, I'm so sorry."

He stands up.

Riley: "I'm okay. It's okay. Well, that was bracing."

Buffy: "I'm so... the books were just too high, and then everything was bad."

She bends down to pick up the books.

Riley: "Let me give you a hand."

He bends down and picks up some books.

Riley: "Let's put a few of these down here."

He puts them on a lower shelf.

Riley: "So, uh, are you girls taking Intro Psych, or do you just want me dead?"

Buffy: "Uh-huh. I mean the first one."

Riley: "Well, you'll have a lot of fun. Professor Walsh--she's quite a character."

Willow: "You've taken it?"

Riley: "I'm a TA, I'll be helping the Professor out. I'm sorry, I've forgotten my manners in all the concussion... I'm Riley."

Willow: "Willow, and this is my friend Buffy."

Riley: "It's nice to meet you both."

Buffy: "I'm nice to meet."

Willow: "Hey, do you know if we're going to be studying 'Operant Conditioning' in the first semester? 'Cause I hear that's kinda Professor Walsh's specialty."