Chapter Twenty-Five

THE EVOLUTION OF FRANK

"What do you wear on a  date?!"

"What?" Penelope Garcia is in a restaurant bathroom, and one of her best friends is on the other end of the call.

"A date, what do I wear?" Amelia Rowe is in her bedroom, clothes spread everywhere, her dressing gown loosely wrapped around her with her damp blonde hair in a bun.

"A date?!" the woman practically squeals "You know, I was going to scream at you for ruining mine, but I forgive you. Who's it with?"

"It doesn't matter," Lia says quickly "Just, what do I wear?"

"Where are you going?"

"Uh, nowhere? It's like a walk-in-the-park thing, that's cute right?" Amelia is talking incredibly fast "Um, but then we're coming back to mine and I'm making dinner. We've been on a  few coffee dates before,"

Garcia squeals. 

"Okay, okay, you know your pink dress? The short one with the little ruffles?"

"Mhm," Amelia nods and picks it up from her wardrobe.

"Wear that with a cute little belt, and some heels,"

"Garcia, I am not wearing heels on a walk,"

"Fine, fine," she sighs "Boots! Anything, oh god he's going to think I'm doing a number two. Message me!"

"Wait! Pen-" She hangs up.

"Pink dress, brown belt," she sighs "I can do this, I can be cute,"

Amelia gets ready, pairing her dress with some navy blue boots, she doesn't even notice the time flying by until her buzzer rings.

"Shit," she checks her hair, and when there's a knock on the door, she swings it open with a smile on her face.

"Mellie! Hi!"

"I am so sorry I'm late," a brunette with soft curls is stood in front of Amelia in plain blue jeans and a blue blouse "My class overran and- wow?"

"What?" Amelia laughs nervously as the woman's eyes look her up and down

"Sorry, you look gorgeous,"

"Oh, thank you," she grins "You look just as good,"

"Please," Mellie laughs "I'm still in my class clothes,"

"Still cute," Amelia winks "Anyway um, really don't worry about being late, we can just skip the walk?"

"Yeah, yeah great!"

"Come in then," Amelia opens her door wider, and screams silently, she could improvise.

She could actually, pretty easily. Amelia had met Melanie at the University library when she was researching for her next dissertation, Mellie was doing an English literature degree and worked at the library part-time for some extra cash, they'd bumped into each other and hit it off. Amelia used this information to keep Mellie entertained as she cooked, relaying facts she remembered Spencer telling her, and encouraging the woman to look at her bookshelf.

Things seem to be going well until halfway through their dinner, Amelia's phone buzzes.

"Work?"

"Probably," Amelia sips her wine "It's fine, the Friday night rule is three phone calls and then I answer," she smiles, but then her phone buzzes, again, and again, and again.

"That's definitely more than three times,"

"Yeah, it is," Amelia's eyebrows furrow in worry and she gets up from her small dining table, picking up her cell phone, she had a message from every member of the team, and several calls from JJ, Hotch and Garcia. She reads Hotch's message first.