real friends - chapter 3

8 months ago, Eavie's Academy, UK

I stood in front of the vague, monochrome, boring, school as Langley slowly walked over.

"What's rolling, bestie?" He asked, but I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I think it's obvious why I didn't want to be friends with him. He made everything about himself, and never took a hint.

"Didn't I tell you in that café? We're not besties." I spoke before moving away from him, and his black hair. Yeah, that was before he went batshit crazy and bleached his hair blonde. But regardless, Langley just shoved me as he laughed; because I didn't get the fact that he was being sarcastic. Womp womp. Walking inside, I realised that, for the first time in forever, I was lonely. No friends, no best friends, just nobody. Me, myself, and I. Saying that feels cringe, but it was true.

Then, someone came to save the day. Not in a superhero esc way. Blonde hair, brown eyes, short figure, it was Peter. He was so sweet. It was the first time I realised something inside of me. That I might be...

Present day

"Gay?" Noelle asked, RUINING the suspense. Ugh.

"Nahhhh, straight. Dodo head. Continuing..."

8 months ago

"Hey? You good? I saw you hanging around with Langley before the summer break and now from what I saw, you guys aren't that close anymore." Peter asked.

"So you've been stalking me?" I asked, laughing.

"Nah. I have my own problems. But I was at that café. That same café where he yelled his guts out?" Peter reminded me; But, I didn't want to be reminded. A soft tear fell down my eye. "Sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"It's fine. Can we go in now? It's too cold for us to be outside and talking." I asked, Peter attentively looking at me. We both walked inside the grey corridors and I navigated him to his white and black classroom, whilst trying to find my own white and black classroom.

Present Day

"And that's how I met Peter." I said to Noelle, as she was about to speak.

"And how does this link together and create something magical?" Noelle asked, looking bored.

"It's not supposed to be some magical story. My life literally has fallen apart over these past few days. Oh wait – I did promise to explain how this all links together." I responded, the loudness of my class making it almost impossible for Noelle to hear me.

4 months ago, Eavie's Academy (13:25), UK

There was some light rain on the bench as me and Peter sat down on the table. It was 4 months since we met on that day, and trust me – Langley wouldn't stop annoying me and coming over to laugh at me and then do whatever somebody who's parents live in a treehouse would do. Our bond just grew closer and closer, day in, day out. You might be wondering, why am I telling you this? Well, as we sat down together, Peter opened to me about something I wasn't expecting.

"Layne.. if I'm being honest." Peter said in a nervous tone.

"What are you being honest about? Did you finally leave that guy who was mistreating you?" I asked Peter, but he shrugged his head.

"Well, it's not about that, but I did leave Sien." His posture slowly shifted to the point where he was sitting up straight-

Present Day.

"Pause, rewind, twist. You said he said that he left Sien? No?" Noelle enquired.

"Yeah, and?" I asked, not noticing a pattern.