Chapter Sixteen

Viserys had been easy to find, when not sitting the throne or attending a Small Council meeting, the King could be found in his chambers working on his stone model of Old Valyria

Viserys had been easy to find, when not sitting the throne or attending a Small Council meeting, the King could be found in his chambers working on his stone model of Old Valyria. It had been nearly silent in the room as both Viserys and the Stonemaester worked. Only a quiet chipping noise could be heard until the doors had been thrown open and Camilla had burst into the room, a fury burning within her.

"Rhaenyra's sons have pulled a despicable trick on Aemond." Camilla roared, pacing the length of the room in an attempt to control her anger. "They forced him to walk into a dragon's den and almost get burned alive."

"What exactly did they do?" Viserys asked, finally turning away from his model and facing his wife.

"They spun some tale of how they had found Aemond a dragon and presented him with a pig. They made wings for it, and a tail."

"The lad shouldn't have been so credulous." Viserys dismissed his grandsons' wrongdoing.

"He's a child." Camilla defended her son.

"He thought they'd happened upon some wild unnamed dragon and lured it to the Dragonpit?"

"As I said he is a child. We must have the children disciplined."

"They're more children than he is."

"Is their age all you care for?" Camilla stopped her pacing, turning to sharply gaze at her husband. "Aemond could have been seriously injured, Viserys. Or even killed!"

Her gaze tried to pin him down, to make him comply. Viserys turned back to the stone in front of him, finding it more forgiving than his wife. "Are you sure it wasn't our Aegon who put them up to it?"

"Yes, I am sure it wasn't Aegon. " The lie fell from her tongue with ease, as she knelt before Viserys, attempting to get him to look at her. She knew if he would only meet her gaze, she would get what she desired. "They must be punished. Who knows what their next prank could be. What it could cause."

Viserys tried to remain strong, though he couldn't stop his eyes from tracing familiar features. There in the shape of Camilla's eyes Viserys could see Aemma. From the tip of her nose to the space between her brows, details of Camilla's face reminded Viserys of his first love.

Camilla knew whose face she wore, the same as whose rooms she slept in. Aemma's ghost haunted the halls of the Red Keep draped in her niece's skin. Camilla had long since learned how to use the resemblance to her advantage, sharpening Viserys' regret into a weapon to use against him.

"Alright," The King sighed, giving in. "They shall be lightly punished."

"That is all I ask of you, my darling." Camilla stood, leaning over Viserys to place a delicate kiss against his lips. When she pulled away the King leaned forward, attempting to chase after her touch. "I apologize, my love, I am late to meet with the tailor. I would hate for your generous gifts to go to waste."