Chapter Eighteen

Lord Lyonel briefed the council on the tensions brewing in the Riverlands, the region Camilla had been born in yet held no memory of. It was strange to hear of her family's lands, the place she would have grown up if only her hair was not silver and eyes a shade other than violet.

Though that was not all that filled her mind. Her eyes rested sharply on Rhaenyra from across the table. Camilla wondered if word of Ser Harwin's actions had reached Rhaenyra, if she knew her lover would be chased from court, leaving her and her children behind. It filled the Queen with a sick sense of satisfaction.

"It is Lord Blackwood's contention, therefore, that the Brackens moved the boundary stones in the dead of the night and put their horses to graze in his field."

"Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover, my grandsire?" Camilla asked as Lyonel paused for breath. "Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?"

"I've heard tale that your father now rules Riverrun in all but name, Your Grace." Lord Jasper Wylde answered.

"Well he is also a Tully, so this remains a Tully problem." Camilla spoke, her voice carrying a note of finality.

"I would agree." Visery spoke, siding with his wife. Camilla smiled sweetly at her husband, placing her hand on his forearm in thanks. The King seemed to preen under his wife's attention, straightening in his seat

"If we may move on, my lords-" Ser Tyland began.

"And yet," Rhaenyra interrupted, her gaze meeting Camilla's. "The Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood, anyone familiar with the Riverlands would know such a fact. So this dispute bears looking into. There will be countryfolk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations."

"That is easy enough." Lyonel said.

"Of course." Camilla muttered into her cup as she seethed in embarrassment and anger at Rhaenyra's comment on her homeland. The Princess had always known the topic was a sensitive one and now she used it against her former friend.

"Ser Tyland?" Lyonel addressed the Master of Ships, giving him the chance to speak.

"We should address the latest developments in the Stepstones, my lords."

"Will we ever be shut of that blasted place?" Viserys complained.

"If you ask me, I think the Blackwoods have the upper hand." Lord Beesbury spoke, adding to the former conversation.

"We've moved onto the Stepstones, Lord Beesbury." the Grand Maester whispered.

"And the Triarchy's new alliance with Dorne." Ser Tyland added loudly.

"I was hoping our negotiations with Sunspear might persuade them to see reason." Viserys coughed. "To trust a Martell is to be disappointed."

Dorne was strong, Camilla thought, they would be a powerful ally. The Queen glanced to her left where Daemion sat, it had been somewhat easy to convince Viserys to allow her son to attend. Doubt still tainted Viserys' mind when he thought of his heir, something Camilla knew well. If her son was to sit the Iron Throne he would need powerful allies, and what was a better way to secure an ally then by a marriage.