Chapter Seventeen

The midday sun lit up the small inner courtyard of the Red Keep as servants, courtiers, and knights bustled around and attended to their duties The sound of grunts filled the air as the Princes trained

The midday sun lit up the small inner courtyard of the Red Keep as servants, courtiers, and knights bustled around and attended to their duties The sound of grunts filled the air as the Princes trained. Camilla sat beside her husband watching as her older sons and Rhaenyra trained together under Ser Criston guidance.

Viserys chuckled as Criston instructed Aemond, turning to face his friend behind him. "This is the stuff, Lyonel. Lads that learn together, train together. Knock each other down, pick each other up. They will certainly form a lifelong bond, wouldn't you agree?"

"That is the hope, Your Grace."

Camilla restrained herself from rolling her eyes at Viserys and Lyonel's conversation. The Hand annoyed her to no end with his front of honor all while his son warmed Rhaenyra's bed. She tried to ignore her husband's presence as she focused on her second born son.

The mother beamed with pride as Aegon showed off, weaving and spinning around his opponent made of straw, knocking the figure back with a swing of his wooden sword. When it came time for the Prince's to switch, Aegon looked up at his mother, searching for assurance. Camilla smiled down at her boy before a frown pulled at her lips when she saw Prince Jacaerys purposely ramming his shoulder into Aemond's.

Aegon followed his mother's line of sight, brows furrowing in thought as he recalled his mother's words from the previous day. He turned to his elder brother who was also glaring at the brown haired princes. A silent conversation passed between the two, neither needing to speak to know they were on the same page.

"Aegon." A voice called causing them to turn around. "Daemion."

"We've won our first bout, Ser Criston." Aegon smirked. "Our opponent sues for mercy."

Daemion chuckled at his younger brother's words. "Did you not hear their cries for compassion?"

"You shall have a new opponent then, My Lord of the Straw. Let's see if you can touch me." Daemion laughed as his brother's face fell. "You and your brothers."

From her seat on the balcony overlooking the training fields, Camilla watched as Ser Criston picked up a training sword and motioned for Daemion, Aegon, and Aemond to advance on him. His eyes met hers for a moment, seeking approval. Camilla was not worried though, she trusted that no harm would come to her sons.

Aegon made the first move, advancing quickly and aggressively towards Ser Criston. Though the Knight barely budged, standing with one hand behind his back as he blocked the Prince's blows. Aemond came to his brother's aide, running straight at Ser Criston with his blade poised in front of him.

Daemion stood back, watching carefully as he took in Ser Criston's form, searching for a weak spot. His mind turned over and over, as he formed a plan. As Ser Criston pushed Aegon into Aemond, Daemion made his move. Swinging his blade, the Prince aimed for Ser Criston's unprotected side, taking the man by surprise.