Chapter Three

Change
Sihtric looked for her making the other men impatient, it was a long ride and they wanted to make it before noon. He spotted Tove walking with a pale of water.
"Tove." Sihtric called out to her. She turned to him with a smile as always, it was quickly replaced with a questioning look.
"You're all armoured up and you have an axe and a sword." She said, looking him over quickly.
"I came here to tell you."  He didn't know how to put it.
"Speak it."
"My father has sent me and 7 other men to spy on the new king of Northumbria. I have to leave right now and well...I don't know when I will be returning."
"Oh." it was almost a whisper, her eyes fell to the ground but with a deep inhale she looked up at him again. Tove always held eye contact, it made him feel a way he couldn't explain with just words.
"I'm sure you won't be gone for to long, just promise me one thing."
"Anything."
"Please be safe. I need you to return to me." She wasn't joking, the worried tone in her voice was genuine.
"I will, no matter how long it takes. I will return for you."
He held the small flower in between his thumb and forefinger. A daisy. As usual he tucked it behind Tove's ear smoothing her silky hair out.
"Goodbye Tove."
He forced a quick smile and walked quickly away.
Tove stood there waiting for him to leave.
Her days wouldn't be filled with laughter or smiles anymore but she could only hope the Gods were kind and brought him back safely and quickly. Tove watched as he rode away. Sihtric looked over his shoulder a few times, waving with the last one.

Weeks went by without a word of him or any of the other spys. Until Tove was woken up by a commotion. On top of the wall looking out over the doors, she could see many were gathered by the gate listening to what Kjartan was saying. Tove rushed out of the house, approaching a woman stood who was closest to her.
"What's going on?" Tove asked.
"Heads." her voice was shaken.
"Heads?" Confused she waited for an answer.
"The men that were sent as spies they say. Seven heads on spikes."
No words could come to her mouth. Suddenly her mouth was dry, her throat was tight and her eyes stung. One man was missing. She prayed to the Gods for Sihtric's survival.
"Did," her voice cracked forcing her to swallow "Did they say who the men were?"
"No, they are sending someone out now."
Tove waited patiently, she heard the shouts between Sven and the man outside the gates. Then a horses hooves. A man shouted a threat up to Kjartan, Kjartan called back demanding he fight him as a man. Uhtred. A name she recognised so clearly.

An hour or so passed and voulenteers were called upon to collect the dead. Tove volunteered wanting to put her mind to rest and know for certain Sihtric was not among the dead. She took a cart and horse out with another man. He loaded the cart as she steered the horse. One by one she looked at the heads, they were mostly fresh. He was not there. But was he alive?
When Tove returned home she cried. Out of strife. She knew nothing. Her heart ached but it was not something she could admit.

Tove
Months and months passed. A summer and winter had gone by. It was the beginning of spring, I hunted and tried to get into a routine. I worked everyday but it wasn't the same without Sihtric's pointless visits. I shopped most days but it wasn't the same without his pestering and unneeded advice. I still took walks in the forest but it wasn't the same without his daisies. Everything reminded me of him. It was like walking with only one shoe. But I couldn't dwell on ghosts. I carried on as best I could without him.

The air was thick, I wasn't a seer like my mother but I always had a feeling when something bad was amidst. I carried on leaving through a small side door with a few other women to get water from the well. I heard the woman to the left of me scream first, warriors poured out from their hiding spaces slaughtering the guards, killing a few women who got in the way. I was stunned and scrambled behind a guard of the door we used, I only had my dagger to protect me but it was strapped to my thigh under my dress. He shoved back into me knocking me to the ground, the guard continued to stagger back wards. I scurried on my hands watching as he moved and desperately tried to get out the way . A sword emerged through his back speckling my face with blood, I let out a screech. Everyone was dead, I stood no chance. I gave up moving and lifted my arms to protect my face. A set of large hands grabbed me under my arms and dragged me to my feet before I was crushed by the corpse. I turned around quickly ready to swing but I recognised his face. Sihtric. My chest throbbed with longing, I looked him over, he wasn't missing any limbs, Sihtric was alive. Thank the Gods. I couldn't help it, my arms wrapped around him faster than I could think, it took him by surprise. I stepped back embarrassed and flustered just as his hands rose to return the embrace me back.

Change
"Sihtric come on." A now angry lord Uhtred whisper shouted.
"Go back to the smithy, stay inside." Sihtric ordered, reluctantly Tove took off in the direction of her house. It was hard for him to let Tove go after being apart for so long but it wouldn't be long now. Sihtric noticed Uhtred's stare. Confusion? Yes, but also something else he couldn't quite put his finger on it.