Chapter Thirteen

Getting home felt like a sigh, everyone felt relief to be home but to Uhtred and his group there was the feeling of something missing. Someone missing. And there was, no denying it. Uhtred was his usual self taking it in his stride and insisting he was fine when it was obvious  to anyone who had eyes that he wasn't. Many of the others sulked not knowing what to do with themselves. Tove had gotten past the 'what if?' stage of grief and the crying and the anger, she had the whole ride from Beamfleot to come to the terms of Clapa's death and the guilt she felt and would forever feel. To ease this feeling Tove made a memorial for him; it didn't take long at all. Something that would always remind her of Clapa was the palm sized rocks that were just about flat -perfect for his favorite game, stones- but also flowers. The flowers with big petals on the outside and smaller more delicate ones on the inside just like Clapa. She planted these colorful flowers in oval shapes boarded with the rocks she had spent long walks collecting in the surrounding area of a tree they would sit under to watch the cows in the field or play stones. After his cremation Tove spread his body between the flowers letting him rest in a quiet and comfortable place that he deserved.

A lot can happen in 3 years, everyone expected Tove and Sihtric to start a family after their marriage but that wasn't the case. Sihtric wasn't opposed to the idea as they had a place to call home and for the past 2 years had stuck to small and local raids but Tove was in no rush. And looking back she was glad she had felt this way otherwise her decisions have have not been the same when it happend. When it all came crashing down for Tove. When everything she had fought to hide escaped her grasp as if it were a sheet of paper in the wind. She could no longer act as if she was just quiet about her past because she was not loved as a child. All her running was for nothing, when he caught her. 

"What is it?" Sihtric asked fed up of the game,
"Well if I tell you that means you've lost the game and its another point to me. Do you want to give up?" Tove asked a mischievous grin on her face as she knew she had won.
"Fine. Now let my brain rest what was it?"
"It was a horse." She laughed motioning to the ones they sat on.
"What?! The hints you gave were: big, useful and powerful. Are you sure that was the same thing you thought of?" Tove couldn't help but laugh also joined by Uhtred. The score was no 7:2 to Tove, each time he reacted the same, absolutely dumbfounded the asnwer was so simple but he couldnt get it.
"Yes I swear to you my love that is what it was, a horse."
"Well I'm choosing a new game because that is definitely not a proper game."
"There is no need for that Sihtric we have arrived." Uhtred slowly brought his horse to a stop, turning to face the group he spoke again. "This is a Saxon village there are not many buildings that aren't houses, from what I've been told there are around 15-20 Danes which is slightly more than our 12 men. I don't think they will be prepared for our attack. Finan, Osferth and Tove I want you to go round the back of the village from the east and wait for my signal, the rest of you are with me and Sihtric. We will enter through the north side and follow the path to the village hall where most of the Danes should be. You three can go leave your horse here." With a nod to their Lord the warriors dismounted and began through the forest the long way round to the village as Uhtred began to speak again. Tove gave Sihtric one last smile before she disappeared into the tree line. 

"How much longer do you think they will be?" Osferth said huffing.
"Stop complaining baby monk, they will take the time they need, we have the easy job. Just wait and-" Before Finan even finished his second sentence the fight had begun. Shouting and swords clashing started from behind the houses they hid behind. "Well you got what you wished for."
The trio weren't far from the fighting at all, it was only a short jog before they spotted Uhtred. They wasted no time fighting, Osferth with Tove's guidance had become more confident with an axe and was really using it which was something he had worried about for a long time. The concentration on his face was very apparent. To Tove it came easily, she was used to the weight of the axe and could maneuver it with no trouble. That was until they locked eyes. She froze, every muscle in her body tensed. Her breathing began to become uneven and rapid. Finan's quick glance in her direction was now prolonged. The muscles in her face began to twitch as if she were about to cry but her nose began to snarl in anger then her lip began to wobble again. Just as he opened his mouth to ask her what was wrong she bolted in the direction of the forest dropping her axe at her feet.
"Tove?" Finan called after her catching the attention of Sihtric. A few of the Danes ran after Tove laughing and cheering as they did so. Sihtric swung his axe into another Dane as he made his was to Finan, his stride was interrupted by someone grabbing the back of his shirt and pulling him back, just in time though. A horse thundered past him, it would surely have killed him if he took another step.
"Him, the one on the horse he was the one who was asking for me he must be their Lord." Uhtred said releasing him.
"Finan what is it?" Sihtric asked looking around for Tove, he though Finan called to her because she was hurt but he could not see her anywhere. Finan looked from Sihtric to the forest in the direction the horse was now running.
"She just ran. Something's wrong."
"Well come on then!" Sihtric shouted adjusting the grip on his axe before he began running in the direction she left in.