Chapter Ten

Aethelred wanted to be gone from the camp as soon as possible. He had to inform king Alfred of his daughters capture which was news no one wanted to deliver. Whilst Sihtric and Thyra tended to Tove, Uhtred and Finan had gone to the woods to collect Tove's weapons. They tried to make conversation but  neither man really knew what to say. When the men saw what Tove had done to the 3 Dane's in the clearing a silence fell over them, a glance was shared and nothing else. It wasn't exactly surprise they felt more, fear.
The blow to Toves head did more damage than she had thought, she struggled with balance and fell when she stood to quickly.
"Gisela will know what to do." Uhtred said as Tove brushed off her knees from where she had fallen
"She always does." Tove said with a smile,
"You'll ride with me I don't want you falling of your horse you're hurt enough." Sihtric said while they were walking towards their horses.
"I'm perfectly capable." Tove was embarrassed enough from the whole ordeal, she wanted it to be over and for people to stop looking at her like an old person. Stubbornly Tove attempted to mount Freja, just like standing she had moved to quickly and folded straight away sliding off her horse though managing to land on her feet. Sihtrics laughed taking Tove into his arms.
"Why can't you let me help you?" he chuckled holding her face in his hands.
"Fine but I get to hold the reigns."
"No way I'm the man you sit behind me."
"Well." she said before running and with Finans help mounting Sihtric's stallion.
"I'm here first. Come on princess." she patted behind her.
"Finan! Who's side are you on?" Sihtric threw his arms in the air.
Though Tove was sat in front Sihtric held the reigns, his arms under hers. Tove would never admit it but she enjoyed leaning into Sihtric and being held by him.

"Uhtred! Where are you going?" Father Beocca called as Uhtred and his warriors left the line for the direction of Coocham.
"I'm going home to Coocham where Alfred asked me to remain and where I left my wife." Uhtred pointed at Aethelred grinning with his comment.
"But the king, he may need you." Uhtred didn't reply. The king needed Uhtred. He always did.

Coocham was still a distance away so they set up camp. They sat round a fire as they spoke.
"If you believe her to be alive you will not abandon her. You will not as a fact what is the real reason we are travelling back home to Coocham and not to Winchester?" Finan asked looking intently at Uhtred. Since the battle Uhtred had been quiet, guilt most likely, and he was hatching a plan. It was always Uhtred who was called upon to save the day.
"There's nothing to be said in Winchester. I won't be part of a whispering court. We will go when I have something to say not before." Finan listened unimpressed with the answer.
"Sihtric," Uhtred said slightly startling him as he wasn't paying attention instead playing with Tove's hair.
"Yes lord." he said quickly.
"Take Rypere there and go to Beamfleot. That is where I reckon Siegfried's fleet lie. That is where they will be."
"Lord am I to spy?"
"You are to confirm the lady Aethelflaed is alive and how they are treating her. Send Rypere back to me in Coocham. You are to remain there and yes, you are to spy Sihtric. I am to know every part of Beamfleot. Every blade of grass that surrounds their fortress."
"Yes Lord." He said reluctantly wrapping his arms around Tove and planting a gentle kiss on her temple.

"So what's this game called?" Finan said as he under arm threw a small stone at the tower of stones they were sat infront of. It had been the first time both Tove and Finan had played this game but Clapa said he played it often. It was simple really whoever knocks the most most stones off the tower wins. So far Tove has won 2 rounds and Clapa had won 1. Finan was a sore looser and insisted they play more rounds even though when he lost he would make remarks of how it was rubbish.
"Stones." Clapa said.
"Why's it called that?" Tove grinned.
"It's Rypere." Clapa pointed out looking onto the mud path infront of them.
"He must have news for Uhtred. I'll go and tell Uhtred." Finan dropped his stones and began to stand only to be met with Clapa's massive arm pushing him to the floor.
"Uhtred!" Clapa shouted as he started running to the hall.
"Uhtred!" Finan ran after Clapa. They took it in turns trying to shout louder than each other as they ran.
Rypere had given Uhtred the news that he had hoped for. The lady Aethelflaed was alive and being treated well given the circumstances. With the news they were on their way to Winchester.