Chapter Nine

The camp was set up a small distance from the fortress, it was in an open area next to a thick forest. Tents and long feasting tables were set up along with a small place for the horses.
"Why don't you trust that I can fight?" Tove said as she stopped setting up one of the tables.
"It's not that I don't trust you my love, it's that even Uhtred agrees it's a dangerous fight and I don't want you getting killed."
"What if you get killed?"
"I won't." he laughed. Tove didn't laugh, it just proved her point more.
"Besides, the people of the camp need you here to guard them."
"I am here because there might be danger but Aethelflaed is here because it's completely safe. Which one is it Sihtric? What's the point of me following you all around just to wait with the people 'just incase'. I'm sick of it." Tove knew it wasn't only Sihtric to blame for this but he was the only one who would really listen.
"I'm sorry Tove I genuinely am, I promise I will talk to Uhtred and next time we fight you will be there, axe in hand." As he spoke he held her cheek in his hand gently brushing his thumb over it. Her face was crumpled with the look of defeat and sadness but as he stroked Tove her face softened.

Alongside Lord Uhtred was Finan, Sihtric, Father Beocca, Clapa and more of Coochams men. They all felt guilty that they had left Tove behind but Sihtric especially felt it as one less thing he had to worry about. Finan stepped forward pushing open the huge wooden door revealing a once busy street to be silent and empty.
"It's open." Finan said shaking his head.
"Do you see a guard?" Uhtred asked, Finan shook his head.
"It's a trap." Uhtred stepped past Finan leading the men through the open gate.
"Yes of course if it is a trap we should walk towards it." Aethelwold moaned.
"Hey shut your mouth." Finan smacked Aethelwold with his shield before following Uhtred. As they pushed further into the fortress there was still no sign of life. Even inside the houses looked empty.
A squeak of a door earned everyone's eyes, an old man opened his door and started to come out
"Hey inside. If you want to live, inside." Finan whisper-shouted to the man. Quickly he went back inside. Once again Uhtred and his men were in the large courtyard of Lunden, the crucifixes still lay on the steps.
"Shield wall." they heard from infront of them. Startled the warriors lifted their shields and looked to see who it was as they pushed to make their own defence. Squinting his eyes Uhtred shouted:
"Aethelred?"
"Uhtred?" He called back confused, "We've seen not a single man."
"Neither." Uhtred called still looking around to see if he could spot eyes looking out from a window or a shadow in an allyway. Aethelred emerged from his shield wall and walked towards Uhtred,
"They fear us!" He shouted triumphantly "The city is ours." he raised his sword and gained replies of cheers from his men.
"No no no keep the formation." Uhtred warned but he could not be heard over the celebrations that may have come to soon.
"Lord." Finan alerted pointing to a man at the top of a building.
"Fire." A few men started to shout smoke seeped into the air thick and dirty.
"Stand ready, it's a signal." Uhtred commanded
"I have no doubt lord they will come." Finan said hushed. Everyone looked around waiting but not sure what for. Uhtred stood up straight now realising.
"It's a signal that can be seen from a mile or more."
Sihtric felt sick, he knew exactly what Uhtred was saying. He stood still not being able to follow his lord as he pushed through the crowd shouting for Aethelred.
"Aethelred, the camp!" He shouted in his face.
"Tove." Sihtric breathed loud enough for Finan to hear. Before Finan could reassure him Sihtric took of running as fast as he could back to where they had left the horses. He was closely followed by Farther Beocca then the rest of the men though their thoughts were solely on the princess.

Tove sulked as she waited for Sihtrics return, she made daisy chains ripping the flower to shreds when the split on the daisy was to large and she couldn't use it.  She sat close with Thyra as she poked sticks into the fire. Thyra stood and whispered something.
"What is it?" Tove asked watching Thrya,
"Death is coming." she said louder this time. Confused, Tove got up and stood next to Thyra and she saw it, across the whole length of the camp she saw Danes on horses. They rode quickly to the camp.
"It was a trap." Tove mumbled Thyra turned and began to scream:
"Death is coming." over and over she started to run around the camp banging pots and pans shaking sleeping guards. Tove wasted no time either.
"Wake up." She shouted smacking the side of tents as she ran towards where Freja was tied up. The sound of the men cheering came closer and louder. Both women ran frantically round the camp urging people to wake up and run and hide. Many people attempted to but the Dane's had arrived. Horses flooded the camp. They killed anyone who moved without a second look. Thyra ran to Aethelflaed taking her by the arm. Immediately as the princess stepped from her tent her name was shouted by the Danes.
"The forest." Thrya shouted dragging Aethelflaed by the arm, Aethelflaed's lady trying her best to keep up. The three made it out of the camp just barely making it into the forest before they were separated. Tove spotted the three women as they ran, she made her way after them slashing at Dane's that crossed her path but she didn't stay to fight. Men followed Thyra and Aethelflaed as they ran.
Thrya ran quickly but so did the Danes that followed her, she was out of breath and couldn't help but stop. One of the men lifted his sword at her only to stop and fall to his knees as Toves axe landed in the back of his head. The second Dane turned startled, quickly he shot an arrow landing deep in Toves thigh making her cry out. Thyra dug the dead Dane's sword into the chest of the archer before he could shoot again. Ignoring the pain in her leg, Tove jumped  from her horse embracing Thyra quickly,
"Where is the princess?"
"She ran that way." Thrya pointed in a direction that was deeper into the forrest. If she returned without the princess, Tove would be blamed.
"Get on." Tove pulled Thyra towards the horse putting her hands together ready for her foot.
"Quickly!" She shouted worried they were wasting time. Thyra got on the horse grabbing the reigns. Before Thyra could say anything Tove smacked the horses rear making it speed off.