Chapter Four

Tove shut the door turning quickly and bumping into Ivar.
"Good, stay here bar the door."
He was in his armour, a sword and shield filling his hands.
"No. They won't attack us, it's Sihtric, he said we're safe here."
"Then he's a traitor." Ivar tried to push past her.
Tove frowned, disliking the way he spoke of Sihtric.
"That's not fair." but she stopped before she could finish her argument, not the time she thought.
"He won't attack us, stay here there is no need to fight."
"You and your puppy-eyed lover may not be loyal to Kjartan but I am. I am no traitor. I am a man of honour. I will fight but I will spare the bastard if he gets in the way."
He used his shoulder to push Tove against the wall slamming the door behind him. The sound of war cry's, swords and screaming filled the fortress. Ivar had never been a brother or lover but he was a friend. She wished not to loose another.

Sihtric kept his head down as he fought. He saw the expression of the men he fought, friends of his. But he now had a place with Uhtred and his new lord was better than any of the men at Beamfleot. He felt confidence until his eyes met with those of his fathers. Rage covered Kjartan's face, so did hurt.
"Kill the whore!" his father yelled to a group of warriors, they nodded, marching now towards the smithy. Kjartan wanted to hurt his bastard just as he was hurting from Sihtric's betrayal. Kjartan was not the smartest man but he wasn't blind. He saw how Sihtirc had completed the errands he set him on quicker just to spend time with the girl who Sven had said he recognised, he knew Sihtric was here for her.
Sihtirc's attention faded from the fight around him but turned to the small house she was in. He knew he had to get there before the warriors. But more and more men came. The more he killed the more that came. He couldn't concentrate. They were outside, 2 at a time they barged at the door. She had bared the door but still it shook. Growing impatient, one man took his axe and started to make a hole in the door. Sihtric could do nothing, he was trapped and fighting for his life. The large block of wood was lifted from its latch, hitting the floor with a crash. All 3 men stormed in. Sihtric let out a cry turning Finan's head towards him, Finan's eyes followed the direction of Sihtric's .

The battle was a triumph for Lord Uhtred and his men. It didn't matter to Sihtric, one one thing did, one girl. Sihtric ran to the house as soon as the fighting ceased. The first thing he saw was the bodies, one on the floor in the hall, another on the bottom of the stairs and one draped over a chair in the small kitchen, a chair he had sat in to eat with Tove and Ivar. "Tove?" He shouted. Her head poked out from a basket in the kitchen she hurriedly jumped out. It was Sihtric's turn to think she was dead and hug her. Both times no words were spoken but so much was said. Sihtric looked around feeling uneasy. How had she managed to escape the warriors unscathed apart from her hair messed up and blood splatters on her dress? He wished not to trouble her. The bloodied axe next to the basket told him enough.
"Are you okay?" He said mumbling into her hair, her head tucked comfortably under his chin.
"Mhm." Tove managed, shaken from the fight.
"I'm back. It's okay now, I'm here." he reassured, stroking her shoulder.
"You promised." Toves tone was harsh but her voice wobbled.
"It all went to plan but Lord Uhtred was taken into slavery, he has only just returned."
"You weren't taken into slavery. You could have come back for me. Taken me with you." she accused
"It would cause questions."
Tove sighed, he was right but she was selfish. Now she was in his arms like she had wanted to be for those long winter months. Neither wanted to let go but Tove did.
"I want to leave." She said quietly as her eyes darted around.
Without another word they left hands clasped together, gently stepping over the men she slayed. Sihtric did not question her. She was a Dane after all.
"Go find your lord, there's something I need to do." Tove said quietly, not looking at him. She was visibly distracted. Sihtric nodded and walked in the direction of Ragnar and Uhtred.
Tove was looking for him. She prayed to the Gods he had been spared,  she thought out the conversation in her head. The one she would have with Sihtrics lord to free Ivar from being their prisoner. Her thoughts stopped quicker than her feet. There he was, on his back, his collar bone and neck slashed hastily. Tove lowered herself to the floor gently, sitting on her feet, she took a deep breath in looking him over. Her face scrunched up as she tried to suppress her tears but she couldn't help it. Toves tears dripped silently onto her legs making dark spots on her blue dress. He gave her this dress. Ever so gently Tove leaned over and closed his eyes with her forefinger and pinky. Arranging him into a position that looked like he was sleeping peacefully apart from the gaping wound on his neck. She checked Ivars sword was gripped tightly in his fist before kissing both his eye lids. She sat for a moment, letting herself look once more, for the last time.
"I'm sorry Tove." It was Sihtirc, he joined her on the floor running his hand gently over her back. She turned to look at Sihtirc, her face red and streaked with tears, it was the first time he had seen her cry.
"I begged him not to." Tove spluttered.
"He is in Valhalla, just as he wanted"
"Mhm." Tove tried to agree but he enjoyed his life here.
She rolled back onto her heals and stood up waiting for Sihtirc to join her. Their peace was interrupted by shouting. Ragnar and Kjartan had made the square. A fair fight. Tove watched, she recognised Ragnar instantly. He had hardly changed since she knew him, he was still toweringly tall but more so now, his hair long but well kept. But the Ragnar she remembered was kind and soft, even though his looks were intimidating. The look on Ragnar's face made her feel unsettled. The way his eyes were wide and darted around, his lip snarled like an animal. He was well, there was no words. She had heard about the fire and death of the Ragnarssons, it had caused her much grief.
Thinking of Uhtred she was yet to see him. A loud yell broke Tove from her thoughts. Ragnar had Kjartan on the floor, Ragnar's sword through Kjartan wrist refusing him the right to Valhalla.
"Please." Kjartan begged
"Give me my sword." he persisted, but it was no use.
Ragnar took his weapon to Kjartans face, over and over and over. The sound of bone splintering and skin splitting and the squelching. It made Tove feel ill but she could not bring herself to leave Sihtric's side. Instead she took his hand to give him comfort.
They had conversations about his father, Kjartan felt no love for his bastard but after all Kjartan was Sihtric's father and watching him being damaged beyond recognition was definitely something that would make anyone feel hurt.

An hour went past, men had started to collect the dead, she watched as Ivar was thrown onto a cart and wheeled away.
"Tove?" The voice was so familiar. Tove turned to the sound of the voice.
"Brida!" she shouted in return. They ran a few paces, smashing into each other and wrapping their arms so tightly around each other they thought they might burst.
"You live?" Brida said pulling back far enough to see Tove's face but still holding one another,
"I do." Tove laughed, a smile big and bright plastered on her face.
"Tove?" Another man, he was tall, thought not as tall as Ragnar, his hair mousy brown and in dreads at the back of his head but his eyes. She would recognise those blue eyes anywhere.
"Little Saxon?"
Another embrace.
"You are a man now Uhtred I thought you would never would grow."
Though the battle was long Uhtred's smile was huge.
"I thought I would never see you again." he said with a chuckle of disbelief. Tove returned his smile, stroking his face and looking over how he had changed since he was 12.

Tove was now reunited with the Ragnarsons and Brida. She had dreamt of the day Uhtred would come to save her but she had found her way to him in the end. It felt strange to see him so different. The last time she had seen him she was only 9, now so much time had past she was almost a woman grown and he was a man.
Tove was lost after the battle. She no longer had Ivar or the fortress to call home -though it was never a home to her more a lodging- the only thing she did have was Sihtric. Uhtred and his woman Gisela had invited the pair to join them and Uhtred's men at Coocham. It was what they both wanted, a job and a place they could be together. How could they not?