Chapter 7: I Didn't Expect You to Do That

I forced a smile as my grandma showed me how to create paper out of dryer lint after my long nap. It was interesting to learn about, but I still worried she had noticed Leo's shirt on me earlier. She hadn't said a word about it, so I was hoping that was a good sign. We were just finishing up with our craft when I gazed longingly at the french doors' windows. Leo hadn't been over yet, and I was starting to second guess if he would be.

"Did you have a nice time with Leo last night," my grandma randomly asked, causing my cheeks to redden.

"W-what," I stuttered, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"I noticed you were wearing his shirt this morning. He's worn it a lot when he works in the yard. It has a little polar bear on the right side of the chest."

"Oh." I couldn't think of anything else to say as my anxiety spiked.

"I don't believe you did anything wrong. I know that you're a good girl and I trust you. I just wondered what you did do."

"We went swimming in his pool and then we had a snack in the kitchen, and then we took his dog for a walk down to the school playground. You're not mad, are you? I know being out at night probably isn't the greatest thing," I winced as I cautiously looked at her.

"No, I know that you were safe, and I understand young love. Your grandpa and I were high school sweethearts," she faintly smiled.

"Leo and I aren't in love or anything. I'm not sure how well we even know each other yet. I'm just now starting to feel more comfortable with him."

"You might not be in love yet, but I think swimming in the middle of the night together says it all." She shook her head fondly before storing our latest creations.

"Leo doesn't want his mom to know about it though. She wouldn't like him swimming alone at night."

"He wasn't alone, he was with you," my grandmother cleverly said, causing the blood to rush to my face again. "I won't tell her. Just make sure you're careful if you do it again. I don't want you getting hurt in the pool."

"I will be careful, I promise." My heart leapt when I finally heard a tapping sound, whipping my head to see Leo. I couldn't stop myself from smiling partly from happiness and the other relief. "Is it okay if Leo stays for dinner," I checked.

"Of course," my grandma slightly laughed. "Your grandfather should be starting up the grill soon."

I nodded before going to let Leo into the house, glancing back at the kitchen when I saw the bundle in his hands.

"You forgot your clothes in the shed," he softly chuckled.

"Thanks," I quietly replied, taking them to throw into the hamper in my room. He followed me like a lost puppy, and I thought it was adorable how he took in the space. His hands were tucked into his pockets, his figure reflected in the long mirror attached to the door.

"Nice carpet," he nodded with a quiet chuckle.

"I know pink carpet isn't usual, but my grandma loves that color, and I love how it looks in this room."

"It looks nice. It's not overpowering or anything."

I nodded before realizing we were in a room alone with the door shut. I wasn't sure what to focus on before I watched him going over to the dresser/bookshelf. He was checking out the random books that were originally in here.

He smiled a little bit when he picked up, The Tale of Peter Rabbit. "My mom used to read this to me when I was a kid," he explained, flipping through a few pages.

"I've never read it before."

"It's a classic kids book." He then proceeded in sitting next to me on the edge of my bed, reading it aloud. I found his voice soothing as I looked at the pictures on each page. We both jerked our heads up when my grandma opened the door.