78~ Face-Off

Chapter-78:

"Do you intend to open your mouth, or should I leave for my own good?" He cracked harshly, and I was already upset.

"Does not it feel strange to use that tone towards me after nine months of being gentle?" And he smirked, which riled up me.

"Why? Do you miss that?" As much as I wanted to agree with him, I remained silent.

"Well, I don't! Why should I feel awkward or foreign when you do it first?" he hissed, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What have I done?"

"You rejected me harshly without considering my feelings or the consequences of our relationship, so why should I?" He raised his voice.

"Do you want me to lie or give you false hope, Austin?"

"What?"

"I was being honest with you that night when I rejected you, 'cause I know I can never love, and I do not want to experiment with that topic with you because it never happens. So I told the harsh truth, thinking you would be heartbroken that day but would be fine afterward, and I never thought you would get into an accident because of me." I sniffed to keep from crying.

"It was not your fault," he said quietly, and he gazed at him puzzled.

"What?"

"The road accident! It was not your fault, but mine, who was reckless, and even if it was your fault, I do not mind as long as you are with me when I open my eyes." And the tears I had been holding back flowed freely.

He loves me so much!

"I am still here for you, Austin!"

"As a friend? No thanks!" He exclaimed, and I wiped away my tears.

"Why are you so obsessed with me as your lover? Is that me or my body?" I asked, not thinking much.

"Lydia, just shut up!" He retorted angrily.

"Have I ever made you feel as if I was after your body?"

"Never," I muttered.

"Then why would you ramble the shit, Lydia?" His tone softened as it had earlier, and my heart melted with joy.

He then reached out his hand towards me, most likely to touch my cheek, but he quickly retrieved it. That was when I realised how much I yearned for his touch, and I hate myself for it.

"I agree that I have passionate feelings for you, but they are not limited to your body, but to all of you!" He muttered.

All of you.

I felt my abdomen clench suddenly.

What is this feeling?

"That means you still love me?" I blurted out, and I was not even sure why I was hoping to say him 'yes'.

"Why? Do you want to give me a chance?" I snapped out of my trance, realising what he had just asked.

"Of course not!" I replied.

"Then it does not matter whether I still love you or not!" He chastised.

"Okay! Then let us go back to our good old days, Austin! It is suffocating here without you." I spurted out the truth, and he looked at me with concern.

"It is still not too late; accept me and we will be together."

"Why don't you understand? I can never love someone," I exclaimed impatiently.